Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjwarner_gw

Potting Manfreda Maculata

vjwarner
10 years ago

Hi! I recently bought from a yard sale, a Manfreda Maculata (Maculosa) (image attached).

It's doing very well however I'd like to transfer it to a more attractive pot. Do they prefer any type of pot or are they fussy? It's currently in plastic. I also learned that they can grow up to 6'?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It's an incredibly tough plant here, far tougher than you'd ever expect given the soft foliage, but I grow mine outdoors in the ground. I have no idea how it does as a houseplant.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I grow mine outside And I am in 8b. They are hardy farther north also. They loose their leaves in the winter and then come back very quickly. Only detriment is that the deer find them tummy. The spots will come out better on the leaves if it gets more sun.

• vjwarner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi! Thank you for both of your replies.

Since I live in the middle of the city of Seattle, growing this plant outdoors isn't an option. Also, I don't think that it would enjoy all of the rainfall. Since it seems to enjoy growing in a plastic pot, I'll transfer it into another only prettier. And now that I know from hoovb that it is a hardy plant, I won't hesitate to plant it this weekend.

Thank you both!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I do think it will grow outside in Seattle if you give it good drainage. You are not that cold and your rain is 38". It grows fine in North carolina which is colder and wetter. It is a very adaptable plant. The hardiness rating is 1-10F. It will freeze to the ground and pop back up. It does need sunlight and your plant shoes signs of etiolation and no spots. Now if there is no where space wise because you are in a city and have no yard, that is another issue.

We get rain here in Texas where it is native. A foot on one day last week . We also get drought. It has breezed through three days of freezing rain, snow

The flower stalk will push up to 6' tall possibly, but the rosette stays low to the ground.

• vjwarner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wantanamara, thanks for the advice! I was wondering why she was so droopy. It is a sunny day so I put her out in the sunshine. I'll have to move her about the apartment to chase the light.

And I do live in an urban surrounding so no yard. Would the plant do well outside in a planter?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

II think growing in a planter outside is much preferable to sitting inside in a pot. I never heard of someone growing a manfred a inside. Not saying it can't be done. I am amazed at what people grow inside in northern climes.