Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

large jade at my school

Hi all,

this big (potentially) beautiful jade is at my school in the graduate lounge area. I have asked before if I could prune it and repot it for them and received a tentative yes. The email was then forwarded to another person asking if it was okay and I never received the response to the second email. I am planning to send another email and take care of this thing (with potential selfish benefits).

I am thinking this thing will need a major whack. What do you all think? And what do you think the max diameter of the cuttings can be for it to successfully root. And do you think I need to wait until spring? I know that if you don't want leggy growth you should wait - but I'm also concerned about this lean and the stress this plant is under. It is putting out aerial roots (I think that is the right term) and branches are sagging.

Comments (17)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second pic showing the lean

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It does too need a proper whacking and a repot - since it is technically someone else's, I'd forgo the usual heavy hand with this and cut away at least 1/3 of that, paying particular attention to the larger growth off the main limbs, removing them and shaping it so the front is emphasized. Thin out some of those smaller limbs that are currently cluttered together.

Repotting it you know. It spite of someone else's treatment, it's looking good and you can make it look better.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I think I'm going to go ahead & get it taken care of. I wish I could just take it. It doesn't get enough sun where it's at & could be a really beautiful jade! But, maybe after a repot & a good trim it'll show improvement.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so excited! I just received permission to take the jade home! I told her I would put it under my lights through winter then prune and repot in the spring. Best part - I am going to break it up into smaller plants, bring back a few small ones that will fit on the window ledge and keep the big part for me!!! I'm so excited! After I lost my big jade a few years back I thought I'd have to wait years for another big one. And now I have the knowledge to keep it happy and healthy thanks to this forum!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Question, it is my understanding that it is not good to do a major prune and a repot at the same time. Do you think I could go ahead and do one now and save the other for spring? I was thinking to repot now then prune in spring. What do you all think?

• ehuns27 7a PA
    9 years ago

That's exciting! Keep us updated.
    I don't think I would do both right now. Like you said you could repot now and let it establish the roots in the new pot and medium, then when you prune it all it's energy can go to growing. I am in a similar situation, I am excited to repot into gritty mix but also plan to whack some of my jades. I want to do it all at once but have to show some restraint!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, although I wasnt planning on pruning, I couldn't get the thing to stay upright. It was leaning so hard and was so top heavy that the entire pot would fall over. So, I pruned what I thought needed to get pruned in order for it to stay upright.

I have it close to my grow light. This guy hasn't had any good sun in s long time so I'm nervous about giving it too much too soon. I'm going to let it heal where I pruned before reporting. I have to get to the store and buy pots anyway so that's going to take a bit. Then I plan to repot. The biggest part has 3 large trunks and I'm keeping that for myself. The rest will be potted up and returned to the graduate commons. Come spring I will do a hard prune on my piece.

Here is a pic. You can see the before and after from today. It was leaning on the wall in the one pic. The 2 pics on the left are all the cuttings! Many of them already have roots so as soon as the cut callouses I will get them potted.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got it out of the dirt today! It was so tight in there it took over an hour to safely get all the dirt off! I was as gentle as I could be. For a jade this large I hoped for more roots, but I'll take what I can get! I am getting a pot for it tomorrow and it will soon be growing into its new home:-)

• ehuns27 7a PA
    9 years ago

Looking good!

deva33 Z8 Atlanta thanked ehuns27 7a PA
  • deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok it's potted up in its new home. Now I'm gonna need help figuring out how to do the hard prune. I've never done one before if I prune back to a branch that is, say 1/2" to 1" in diameter then will it grow nicely? Or will it always have a weird stump?

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rob. I think I want to fix this lean that is going on so I'll have to figure out the best way to do that I have about a month to figure it out though. It'll be interesting!

• lyceebear
    9 years ago

@deva33 the jade looks good in its new home! best of luck with your prune!

deva33 Z8 Atlanta thanked lyceebear
  • deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How long do yall think I should wait before I water and fertalize it?

When I removed it from the previous soil the roots were really tangled and it took a lot to get the old bad soil off. Some roots were damaged. I also cut off a shoot off from the trunk, so there is a wound about 1-1.5" in diameter. So that will need to callous. I was thinking 2-3 weeks but some of the leaves are looking sad and wrinkly, like they need a drink. I know they are drough tolerant but I dont want to push it to the edge!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Wait a solid week, then do a light watering *away* from the trunk. After that, it might be two weeks before signs of new growth emerge. Once you see new growth, do a thorough watering of the entire potting medium.

The lean is something that really needs to be handled at the time of re-potting.

Josh

deva33 Z8 Atlanta thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Josh,

I tried to fix the lean during repotting but the shape of the 3 trunks at the base made that impossible. I straightened it as much as possible. At the base, under the soil, the angle actually increases, so I did what I could. I think if I straightned it completely the other two trunks will be more angled. It was really hard to find the right balance. Do you think I should redo it? I would probably need a bigger pot... maybe I should wait until the next repot in a few years... ? What do you think?

Thanks for your advise regarding the watering. I repotted it last wednesday so I think I will wait until this weekend.

Deva