Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Should i avoid these genera?

chezron
9 years ago

I have many cactus in small pots on my deck. I live in La Mesa, CA near San Diego. My deck gets full sun except in the winter when the sun goes low in the sky. Anyway, I normally put the cactus in some shade starting in June when I notice they are getting discolored. This year I could not do this and i lost about 15 of them. I am going to tell you what I lost and I was hoping you could tell me if it is the cactus genera that are not tolerant of sun and if I need to concentrate on other genera. I may not be able to move them in the future and need species that tolerate full sun in the summer.

The cactus that died: Lobivia aurea,Sulcorebutia pulchra, Rebutia marsoneri, Lobivia acanthoplegma, Lobivia arachncantha, Sulcorebutia arenacea, Lobivia prestoana, Lobivia haemantantha, Rebutia fulviseta, Gymnocalycium baldianum, and Sulcorebutia jajoiana.

I am looking at this list and I really like these cacti. How do I keep them alive in the summer? Is it water and shade or both?
I didn't water much. I think I can handle it if I just have to move Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, and Rebutia species. Should I put them in the house during the summer? It is cooler there. Please tell how to grow these cactus.

Comments (4)