Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormancy

Posted by JessieC777 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 17:34

I don't think any of my plants got the memo lol They all seem to be growing right now! My Gasteraloe is getting a new stalk, my Jade has new leaves sprouting, my crassula falcata has new "propellers" growing, my zz plant has a flower growing, and my ficus is growing two leaves. I think they are all happy I moved them into or closer to the west facing window :-) Am I the only one that has crazy plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormancy

I meant to say south facing window!

o

Jessie, it depends on the type of plant and amount of light/sun.

Most succulents/tropicals grown under artificial lights plus a sunny window will continue growing.

Some plants let you know when they go dormant. Leaves yellow, drop. Like Alocasias.

Also, some succulents are winter growers. Many sux flower during winter months. Toni

o

Jessie,

Many succulent plants are opportunistic growers - if given some sun, warmth, porous soil, air circulation and some water now and then, they'll grow most of the year. Show us pics of your plants and we can tell you all about them, or at least enough to get you going.

o

This is a big time for growth, but I am in Texas. It is gorgeous out. I'M GROWING.

o

I just re potted all of them into a pumice mix (plan on doing Al's Gritty mix in the spring) and I have never see plants so happy. I am notorious for being a jade killer lol Since reading many posts on here I have started to figure out how to better suit their needs. Anyhow here are some pics....any tips or advice would happily accepted :-)

Here is my jade, I have noticed it is starting to lean. I have thought about maybe propping it up somehow.

Photobucket

New leaves
Photobucket

Crassula Falcata "Propeller Plant"
Photobucket

Gasteraloe "white wings"
Photobucket

My ficus...I know this isn't a succulent but yay for new leaves! :-)
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here