Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hundredwaters_gw

Help with caudiciform???

hundredwaters
10 years ago

Hi... I have had a handsome caudiciform (i think??? or pachyform?) purchased at an exotic cactus store in pasadena 6 months ago... I have it outside in Los Angeles with 4 or more hours of sun per day on our patio and water it once per week. I noticed this AM that the tips of some stalks are slightly yellow and two stalks are receeding back and dried out - see the far yellow stalk and the near brown twiggy one in the enclosed photo. is this not enough water??? to much water??? something else?

help?

thanks

HW

Comments (9)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

This is a type of Euphorbia, by the way, nice specimen. Watering once a week outside in Los Angeles with 4 hours direct sunlight? I would lean toward underwatering. Check the planting medium below the rocks. If bone dry after a week, you have your answer. Did you just plunge it into the direct sun, or did you do it gradually?

Christopher

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

This is Euphorbia knuthii. The affected stems are not going to get better. I suspect you are right about the water but I also wonder if the water quality may be a problem. Try using distilled water at least for awhile, there may be accumulated salts in the pot. Also, check the roots, see if they are in good shape and that the soil is adequate. The plant may be too rootbound

• hundredwaters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the reply... Much appreciated... The plant was repotted when I purchased it, which was about 4-5 months ago... I didnt consider water quality... How much would you recommend this be watered, especially now that it is in the winter?

• hundredwaters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also - no... I did not transition it much as at the time I was not aware that was an issue... However, I believe it was outside at the nursery, although if I remember they have some netting up. Doesnt this represent under watering?

Kaktuskris - are you suggesting it should or should NOT bebone dry after a week - I thought these things were supposed t odry out between waterings...

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

I can't advise you a lot on watering, our climates are too different. Check with the place where you bought it - sounds like you got it at CCC, a very reputable place and they probably would be glad to help.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Frequency of watering depends on many factors, such as soil type, temperature, humidity, etc. In your climate, if your planting medium is fast draining, and the plants are sitting in full sun, watering once a week may not be enough. Also if the plant was not slowly introduced to full sun, sunburn could be an issue, especially as you said the grower had it under a shade cloth. I would remove any dead or dying portions.of the plant.

Christopher

• hundredwaters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks... Much appreciated... I am assuming this looks most like under watering (vs root rot)? I can clip off the dried stem... How about the one that is yellow and shriveled? Cut it totally off or just below the dried portion?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I would cut any yellowed portion back to the healthy green portion if it were mine. Good luck with it, a nice plant you have there.

Christopher

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

The arms can be removed as close to the caudex as possible, calloused for 10 days or so and replanted to grow new plants. With time, they will develop a new caudex but you have to allow it to grow for a couple of years before raising it or the roots won't get FAT! New arms will grow from the base of the caudex. Seed grown plants develop a nicer caudex but take much longer. I do it both ways. While the picture on the left is an arm division of Euphorbia squarrosa, the principle is the same; the new arms have grown from the base. You can just see the fat root developing into a pseudo caudex. The E. knuthii grown from my seed has developed a true caudex and if unearthed, would be much larger.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 10:23