rina_

More holiday cacti...

Blooms just starting to open on this pink one (TC?):

Rina

Comments (15)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this cutting, given to me 7-8 mo ago, looks like it finally rooted.
    Surprised to see buds.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 17:50

• teisa
    10 years ago

Rina,

Very pretty. Pink is my favorite color. Those look like they are going to be a beautiul color. Is the first picture considered the true CC? It seems to not have the "claw" look to the leaves? Im just learning these so thought I would ask.

TFS!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teisa

I was told that first one is Thanksgiving cacti, second - probably the same? I am still not confident enough to ID them myself.
    I keep them in my 'holiday cacti' folder for now.
    Not sure about color of the cutting, it's looking almost peach, but have to wait until buds open.

Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Rina,

The rounded segments on the plant in the 1st pic suggest a true CC, rather than the jagged, pointed edges of a TC, like in your 2nd pic.

Amazing that cutting has buds, I've never seen that either. Whatever you're doing, pls. keep it up as your plants look VERY happy!

Yours looks happy & healthy, good color & wow, so many buds, gonna be gorgeous!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Very cool, those look awesome! I was worried about the transition from outside to inside, but it's been a couple weeks and buds are still growing. Most of the cuttings I did this summer (inadvertently, when accidentally broke a piece) are making little buds too.

I got this one in trade:

Um, suddenly Imageshack pics are tiny, sorry.

This one is really strange, with tiny leaves. It came from a 'normal' plant.

10 years ago

Just took this pic, getting exciting!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pg

Thank you, I have it written down, and also checked out few links posted on another thread. Still, I am never sure so prefer not to ID them myself.

I had couple more small cuttings (same as one with buds), but probably "killed it with kindness". This one is sole survivor, and I have to say it started to do some growing when I started to neglect it! I think I watered them too much to begin with (after I callused them first).

Nice mixed hanging basket, purple!

Rina

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

They are TC....at first I saw the rounded phylloclades, but then I noticed the points on some of the phylloclades on the branches, suggesting TC. When the flowers open, the ID will be clear.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Buds opening on TC (?) in the first photo:

Rina

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Oh, yes, most definitely TC.
    Notice how the flowers are at an outward angle instead of hanging/pointing downward. Also notice that the flowers are asymmetrical. Very pretty pink :-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Very pretty Rina!! I too at first glance thought it was the true CC until I saw a few of the jagged tooth like points on some of the leaves. Josh is excellent at ID'ing these :o)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Josh, Nancy & pg.
    It's blooming ready for your Thanksgiving...

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 12:06

10 years ago

TY, Rina. Great pics of a beautiful plant. Nice!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Rina and Purple...You are doing a great job! I love them all and the leaves are pretty too....Many of my cuttings just rooted are flowering too..

Isn't it amazing that many of us could not even get them to flower or share them with anyone that appreciated until we met here?

Mike

10 years ago

TY, Mike! All I did was hang them outside & water often though, mother nature deserves all of the credit.

Since they only sell them for the holidays, I didn't know they were so easy to keep alive until the discussions around here last TC season. Also thought they'd need some kind of strange condition I wouldn't be able to provide to make flowers the following year. Then I saw pics of them in hanging baskets & that was it for me.