Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djbrandon199

Any suggestions?

djbrandon199
10 years ago

I'm living in zone 6a MA and I'm looking for some cacti, succulents, and even some air plants.

The room I plan on keeping them in has room, but I would still like to keep things small. The room in question rarely reaches below 50F with the heater on in the winter. I'll have to experiment with the sun, but I'm pretty sure that I have a spot that gets sunlight all day, though it isn't too strong or bright.

I also wanted to know if there were any succulents that will tolerate part sun, because I have space that I would like to put them if so.

At the moment I have a graptopetalum (the exact species that I do not know) that I'm trying to salvage. It still has about 5-6 green stems, but large parts of them have withered badly and the only leaves left are part of a tiny rosette beginning to form.

I also have a thimble cactus (mammillaria gracilis fragilis) which I would like to know more about in terms of requirements, and some 'Sunset' Hens and chicks

I have cats so I'm pretty certain that I'll have to avoid sharp spines. I've been using orange peels to keep them away and it seems to be working.

Thanks in advance, Brandon

This post was edited by djbrandon199 on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 18:47

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Brandon.

"I'm pretty sure that I have a spot that gets sunlight all day" This is rarely possible unless you have a glass room. You have light, but direct light can only come in an east window in the morning, a west window in the afternoon, a south window can get both (depending on eave situation,) and a north window, maybe a few minutes very early AM and/or PM. Being very close to an E/W/S window is usually required for most succulents. You can manipulate the soil, the water, the temp, but not being honest with yourself about light will never yield great plants.

Which way do your windows face? Some leafy succulents, like Tradescantia, Gibasis, Plectranthus, plants like Peperomias, hanging vine plants, if they have any appeal, are fine with less (than tons) of light. Sansevieria will abide.

I've not had cats around but it seems like plants with sharp spines would be the perfect thing for having plants they don't want to mess with, just a thought with nothing to back it up... But I'm only getting in the cat area because it was mentioned with orange peels, which could alter the PH of the soil in your pots. It might be a good idea to use some little container to keep them (peels vs. soil) separated. Many people have the cat issue, don't think I've read that one before. Cool.
    - Tiffany

• blfresh
    10 years ago

I have two cats and they do not mess with the cactus. One of mine chomped down on an opuntia and the other was sniffing my blue barrel. Neither cat has ever disturbed any of them again. I recently brought my plants in for the winter and they are staying away from them. :)

• djbrandon199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your help with the cat issue. They've been staying away so I think I'm all set.

My window is facing west, but the sunlight is not that strong because it passes behind the branches of the trees in the backyard. You were right, it really on gets direct sunlight in the afternoon, but it's still brightened-up the majority of the day. Just adding in that I'm keeping the graptopetalum and semps near this west facing wall, and the thimble cactus is near a south facing wall. I think I'll try to get some pictures.

Thank you for the suggestions. Some of them were really pretty, and I'll look into them further.

Would plants like echeverias or small aloes do? What about cacti, any in particular that might work?

This post was edited by djbrandon199 on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 15:34

• blfresh
    10 years ago

My gasterias and haworthias do well in lower light levels over the winter. They are in a south facing window but I place them behind the plants who need more sun. All are pupping.

• djbrandon199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I was definitely considering haworthias

• djbrandon199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So today I went out and I bought a 'Zwarktop' Aeonium, an unspecified haworthia, and a panda plant. I figured I'd try experimenting to see what might work on my own.

Is there anything special I should know about these guys, I'm already aware that the panda plant is toxic to cats, and I'm keeping it out of reach

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA