Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Do plants have twins? Ceropegeia woodii

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've been looking this plant over in preparation for a swap for a Hoya.

There's been a branch which looks like twins, from when it first appeared

They really have looked like twins as they developed

I wonder if such a thing is possible

Well, either way, I think it's pretty cool.

Comments (23)

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Hi Pirate-Girl The vines come from bulbs, that divide. It may be not showing, the bulbs are unually under the soil, but new ones may appear along the vine itself. Good question, other plants divide to reproduce them selves. All of my bulbs divide. Do you mean the two opposite leaves, (twings?)they better have those or something is wrong. Now did I understand the question right? Norma

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Norma,

I know about the tuber, I do see the main one down in the pot (the tuber's upper 1/4 is exposed/uncovered). I also know tubers can/do form along the vines.

I guess I'm asking if two vines can be identical, leaf by leaf as these appear, they branched off the main one (upper left corner of pic) & then appeared in duplicate as you can see.

PrayerRock, this is the plant I'd swap w/ ya, except that I'm keeping the twin branch ;>)

(PG) Karen

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Won't somebody answer this question pls? Maybe no one knows, that could be, tho' I'm still mighty curious.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

I'll take a shot. Since the plant represents one clone of a species/variety, wouldn't it be more remarkable that there aren't more branches that aren't alike?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Jeff, I appreciate you trying, unfortunately, I don't know what that means. Is that another way to say "isn't it remarkable that more branches aren't alike"???

Hey Toni,

Have you ever seen this happen, two identical branches, leafing out at identical spots like this?

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Don't most C. woodii vines look nearly identical? I guess it's a little unusual that two vines originating from the same node are of equal length. Either the growing point split, or an older node budded and quickly caught up to the original vine. Either way, I'm not surprised that they look alike. They're not perfectly identical as you can see differences in leaf patterns.

I used to grow this plant, but don't remember if mine did this. I always found the tubers and flowers to be more interesting than the vines.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen, I haven't noticed, but I'll check.

12 years ago

Karen,

Precisely, in other words.

TTBOMK, I've never had a ceropegia, but if it's tuberiferous, I should.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

If it's a stem that has forked it doesn't look unusual to me. My C. woodii stems fork often and each branch looks pretty much identical. Most of the forked branches on my woodii don't emerge from a tuber. My woodii doesn't produce nearly as many tubers along the stems as my linearis and Orange River. None of my other ceropegias produce tubers along the stems at all. I don't know if the arial tubers (or whatever they're called) only occur on the thinner stemmed varieties?

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Pirate girl, the plant looks nice..looking forward to it:)

Mary

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Your keeping the twin branch????? why would you remove that branch??? That stinks.

Mary

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really Mary,

It's not like you would have ever known the difference (had I not mentioned it), is it?

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

oh wow that is rude. Glad its already in the mail, but thanks for letting me know you were taking the branch off, you could have emailed that part to me along with telling me to come look at the plant in this thread. Yes I would have noticed. I didnt cut part off the hoya I sent you just because I liked it. Maybe I should have cut off the bloom end.

Mary

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Come on now Mary,

A little perspective pls. Most people would wait to see what they DID receive before expressing their ingratitude about what they didn't receive. Look at what you got & look at how much postage I spent - then come back & share your ingratitude some more.

(I didn't know Fri. Nov. 11 was a holiday, seems you didn't either.)

No one on this thread seems to recognize this twin thing as out of the ordinary, I do, so I kept it. If I hadn't opened this discussion you wouldn't have known anything about it.

• eileenaz
    12 years ago

It looks like you're the only one that thinks it's unusual.

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Fair enough pirate girl, I will wait to see what you sent, I am sure it will be just fine..my apologies. I hope you also like what I sent you.

Mary

12 years ago

And we close, ladies and gentlemen and not a moment too soon, another chapter of 'The Fickle Trade Winds of Apocynacea Sometimes Just Blow'.

12 years ago

You Ceropegia folk might want to have a look at this online resource by Karen's friend Sage. He can grow the dickens out of these plants, he can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Ceropegia's Loggia

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Came back to re-read this thread (about the twin question) & am thinking I like Penfold's idea that maybe the growth point split.

I've grown this plant for more than a few yrs. & have also seen other peoples' C. woodiis & that's why I think no, it's not an ordinary event. Bad me for not taking photos as soon as it revealed itself. I'll know for next time.

Without thinking I later piled all the growth on top of the pot & lost track of the twins. At some point I may untangle it again to look, might be interesting.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

I don't think the twins are unusual. Mine sometimes had triplets. :-) I always thought it interesting that some of the vines achieved great length and never branched and others would have "twins" on "twins." Guess that's why we grow our plants...they are never, ever boring!

Linda

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Question, I think hoya vines do the same thing. Ivy also, and sweet pea vines. Now I going to go out and look at all my vining plants, the Senecio variegated rowleyanus seem to do that as well, ('Sting of Pearls')I know my cactus have multible 1-8 offsets all the same, and Aloe also have 1-8 offsets all the same. I think all plants may produce their own kind one way or the other. I just don't think in the plant community uses the word twin (meaning two) It may be referred as offsets, or division perhaps there are latin terms, I certainly don't know. I know I can get 6+ (sextuplets)I had seven offsets from a cut Sansevieria . many offsets on a leaf /or node of Kalanchoe, call them what you want, it should not matter one way or the other we knew what you were asking Two leaves off a node of a vine is normal to me. Words are only a way of communation. Names of plants so we are on the same page. Norma

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Norma,

Maybe I wasn't clear, I don't mean twin as just two, I specifically mean twin as identical.

My Hoyas may branch vines, but they have never produced identical anything. That's what I'm talking about, not sure why folks seem to think I just mean splitting or pairs, which I don't again, I mean IDENTICAL (or nearly so).

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

This topic has always made me chuckle. Do plants have twins? Yes and I have the evil one.

Sorry I will behave.