Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cereus identification and need advice.

Posted by native_son (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 18:00

A couple of weeks ago a parent of a student I teach was nice enough to bring me a plant that she picked up from a friend of hers who is a master gardener. She said he told her it was a Night Blooming Cereus. The plant looks like it has gone a few years without replanting and also looks quite awkward. Some of the branches hang down over the edge of the pot and fit it very closely now.

I'm first wondering exactly what it is - I have looked a lot and I'm not very sure about it. I thought about repotting it (the pot doesn't have a good base so I need to put it in something where it won't leak when watered). So what could I do with this? Should I cut off some of these limbs and start them in new small pots? Any advice on this? It looks like a lot of branches have been cut off it in the past.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cereus identification and need advice.

Looks like Hylocereus undatus to me, also known as Dragon Fruit. The recumbent or climbing habit is typical of the species. Stem segments can easily be rooted to start new plants.

Christopher

o
RE: Cereus identification and need advice.

If you want fruit you must first get the flowers, I could not cut cut them, I would put them all in one pot if they are the same species. Give them fast draining mix with 20% humis made up of forest mulch. Orchid mix would be great. Filtered light, warmth, moisture on a regular basis, when it is warm enough, give them a winter rest (dormancy) follow the instructions the other give you on this forum, the fruit is ediable only when ripe, if you like the taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here