Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breton2

Foliage Pro in Canada?

breton2
9 years ago

Are any Canadians using this fertilizer? I would like to try some but have not yet found a Canadian source. Found a few US sources but don't want to pay more for shipping than the fertilizer!

Happy growing!
Breton

Comments (23)

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

I buy from amazon.ca
    Buy several of the 8oz ($9.32ea) for free shipping ($25+)
    Or one big jug 1gal ($101.80)

Best of luck to you in your hunt!

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Which fertilizer? For cacti all you need is a few drops here and there and some good dirt.

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Most likely Foliage pro 9:3:6

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Anon-Cdn!!! I thought I had looked at Amazon, but didn't see that deal!!! Much better than the other prices I have seen!

Happy growing!

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And yes CooperDR, it was the Foliage Pro 9:3:6 I was looking for..

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

.... very good choice.

Al

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Yes, my plants seem to enjoy it much more than other fertilizers I've tried in the past.
    I have you to thank for it Al!

Cheers,

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

No thanks necessary. I always feel good when I learn I've been a part of helping someone get a little better reward from the growing experience in return for the effort invested. That's more than enough.

I'm glad Breton found it. Cheers to the both of you!

Al

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Al! I have been gradually switching my plants to a gritty- type mix. My jades in particular are thriving.

Anon-Cdn, I notice you are in a similar zone as I am, can I ask what types of succulents you are growing, and under what conditions? I am growing a mix of succulents on a south- facing window for winter, summering outdoors. I am particularly curious about Mesembs, I haven't come across many people growing them in Canada without supplemental lighting or a greenhouse.

Happy growing!
    Breton

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Breton

If I may ask - are you saying that you don't have any supplemental lighting set up for your succulents?

I am close to Toronto, Ont; and while they will grow - especially in south exposure - I still find them etoliating too much.
    What is your experience?

Rina

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Yeah, West of Ottawa, Ont.

Will edit post with a pic of my Aloe Vera (var.chinensis)
    south facing window, second floor, no supplement light atm.
    Picked it up as a pup in Sept. 2012.
    Things took off after switching fertilizer (this spring) & very recently to gritty mix, all my other succulents succumbed to "cat attack" >.Lithops, Christmas cactus, small jade cuttings....sigh

using DW's sowing room/table as it faces south ;)

This post was edited by Anon-Cdn on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 16:24

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rina
    Correct, I do not use any supplemental lighting for my succulents. I have two large south facing windows, which are crowded all winter. In summer everything goes outside on my patio under the roof overhang or in a small greenhouse. I have trouble with some plants etiolating over winter, especially Echeverias, these get beheaded in spring often. But my Crassulas , Aloes, Adromischus, and Mesembs do pretty well. I TRY to focus on small species that will be happy in a 10 cm pot or smaller, though I do have some large Jades. Plants that get too large end up being fostered at my mother's house...And of course Haworthias and Gasterias do well with lower light levels.
    What kind of succulents do you grow? I am in coastal NS, by the way.

Anon-Cdn, that is impressive that you got an Aloe Vera to bloom indoors in Canada. I gave up on growing that species years ago because I just don't have the space. I do have smaller Aloes that bloom reliably, though.
    Sorry to hear about the cat attack! I have a toddler who has thankfully quickly learned that plant pots are not construction sites for toy tractors..
    Happy growing!
    Breton

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Lol, they don't even bat an eyelash at the African violets, mini roses or Hyacinth, but always too curious with succulents/cacti...
    selective destruction, one chews them, the other digs them up/knocks them over.

First bloom for aloe, really excited!
    Hopefully I'll be able to restock what was lost and do even better now that I'm using the gritty mix along with FP.

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

first bloom to open ;)
    green, with streaks of white, yellow & orange

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Anon-Cdn

That is beautiful bloom, and your aloe looks great too. Hard to believe it's only 2yrs old. You are doing something right - cat or no cat!

Breton

Thank you for answering; I have few different echeverias, few haworthias, couple gasterias, few aloes...+more, but nothing 'special' - only what's available in stores around here.
    None of my plants compare in size to Anon's aloe!

I have small aloe blooming now, was ID-ed as Aloe rahuii. It's not very large but it pups - I have divided it already.

I think I am going to get Foliage Pro - was looking for it but couldn't find in Canada.

Rina

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Hmm,
    gotta get me some of those. ;)
    Like the smaller ones too! (Nice plant)
    Never any good finds around here...

Best of luck!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Anon

Here is the pup - it is sending a spike too...The original plant has at least dozen pups, one of the blooming spikes is the offset.

How many do you want, lol?

I have A. variegata (aka Pheasant breast) with 4 pups too.
    A. juvenna is growing great (have to pot-up broken branch), so is A. grandidentata (not sure about ID) - have few babies separated too.

Rina

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Love it, Just love it! :D
    Gives me hope I'll find something around here in my life time ;p

Cheers and keep up the eye candy!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

If you want pup - no problem. Only that it's too cold to ship (probably...)
    Rina

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Aye, too cold for sure
    But I appreciate the offer none the less.

Thanks Rina

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice bloom Anon!
    And nice Aloe, Rina!
    I am going to order the foliage pro this week, at the link Anon suggested.
    Curious to see how my plants do with it!!

Happy growing!
    Breton

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

K, blooms are maturing to a more solid yellow.
    Best wishes with your plants Breton :)

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Wow Anon, thats a beautiful aloe. Its so well behaved. Mine is year and a half and its only 19" across in width and height. Its all over the place too, mainly because theres no support. You did a smart thing of using less soil so the outer leaves rest on the pot. atm Im worried about mine as it is beside my west facing balcony. Last year I had it under T8s and it grew, this year theres no light because its too big.

I know its a bit off topic but I would love to see peoples aloes that have grown into monsters.