Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fancyorchid

Desert Coral Cactus or Euphorbia Crestata

ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
10 years ago

Does anyone have this cactus and what type of soil does anyone suggest? Mine is in cactus soil but it's very compacted, should I diminish watering during the "cooler months"?
Annamaria

Comments (4)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Not a cactus, but a crested Euphorbia lactea variegata that is grafted onto a stock Euphorbia, often Euphorbia neriifolia. Come spring I would repot into a more porous, fast draining mix. For the time being, would minimize watering at this time of year. But one thing I learned with some Euphorbia is that they need enough water through winter to keep the roots from drying out completely. I made the mistake of not watering one Euphorbia all winter, as I do with most of my cacti, and come spring, the Euphorbia rotted, as the roots had died.

Christopher

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Chris, for responding so promptly to my posting, yes, I did realize it should have had a more porous soil, but I didn't want to disturb the growth progress.
    Since it's not a regular cactus, would you suggest a mix of cactus and an other type of soil for this particular type of plant?
    How often do you recommend watering it? This plant was a gift and I had no idea, at first, it was an Euphorbia Crestata.
    Thanks again for your response,
    Annamaria

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I keep IT indoors on a South window exposure, it's really a very interesting plant !!!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

As I said, I would wait till spring to repot. Many people make their own soil mix on this forum, like gritty mix, while others amend packaged soil with copious amounts of perlite. What you want is something that is not water retentive, so the roots do not sit in a wet soil, which can lead to root rot, and death of the plant.

This time of year I might water once every two weeks, but it depends on your particular conditions, such as the dryness of the room, the temperature, and the soil it is in now. I prefer my succulents in terra cotta clay pots, which breathe, unlike glazed or plastic pots. Would love to see a photo of the plant. Euphorbia is a large and fascinating genus of plants, I have quite a few myself. Good luck with yours.

Christopher

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I have mine in a window box. It grew so big that it kept falling over from being top heavy. I had to use clay and sand mix for the soil. It is like concrete and it's the only thing to keep my plants in place. They don't seem to mind. They grow very large in time. Also you got to keep cutting off any reversal stems when they show up. So far I have about 3 E. latea 'Ghost' from it. And I water mine thru winter months but very little. During summer, very much.

{{!gwi}}