Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Your unusual planter?

Let's see what unorthodox items folks are using as planters!

Finally got around to doing this today though I got the purple thing months ago. Going to stick little Sedums, Portulacas, string of pearls, Delosperma, Gibasis geniculata, around the outside in the spring, through the holes in the sides.

Comments (20)

• marquest
    10 years ago

I love cruising the thrift shops for things I can use as containers.

This is a plastic seafood platter I painted white and put semps in it by the pond.

The dish in the back to the left is a seashell design sugar dish.
    {{gwi:7050}}

This is a chip and dip server. You put the dip in the top of the hat and chips in the brim. I use the dip part for plants.

{{gwi:133298}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

A faux bois cement planter with a mix of C&S and conifers.

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

...and a bit closer...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are cool, keep 'em comin'!

This is hard to look at in bright sunshine but shallow aluminum turkey roasting pan makes a great nursery for little cuttings.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Love the faux wood container. Did you make it or buy it?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thanks, Paul. I found that planter at an auction several years ago. I'm nowhere near talented enough to make something like that. Always wanted to try my hand at hypertufa, but never found the time.

tj

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

COOL planters!

I have tons of containers awaiting plants, but they are on hold until I PIG the front yard. Then, they will become accents!

Let me see if I can find one I've used already...hmmm, other than my water fountain (which I've posted on another thread), here's one:

, Everyone!

• FluffyClou
    10 years ago

Interesting planters :))

Do those planters have holes at the bottom? If they don't, can I use these kinds of planters as is, without any holes, or do I actually need to drill holes for drainage? Thanks! I would like to try it out too :))

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Here is a Mammillaria elongata monstrose in a pot a made in Roku class

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

Awesomely creepy there. Gotta love Roku!
    The other planters are all cool too!

This post was edited by sowngrow on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 12:23

• paul_
    10 years ago

That one tis amusing, Geoff!

Can's say that I live life on the "edge". This is probably the closest thing to an "unusual" planter for me:

The "pot" is one of those wooden bowls folks often server nuts or pretzels in.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Fluffy, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have the guts (or memory) to grow anything without drain holes, succulent or otherwise.

As I knew they would be, other people's pots are much cooler and more attractive than mine! That's the next step, get these awesome plants out of these fugly plastic things. I really will try to collect potential planters instead of more plants this winter, but can't promise anything!

I don't know Roku. A search led me to some kind of software. Enlightenment?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Not sure what this was in it's previous life (maybe egg holder/cup?), or if it is unusual enough to qualify...drainage holes were drilled in the pot part.
    It's small, the pot part approx. 1" diameter.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 17:07

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Drainage hole drilled here too.
    Also very small, wing-tip to other side accross only about 3"

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 17:10

• FluffyClou
    10 years ago

Thanks, purple!

Maybe I'll get some drillers in the future~~
    For now, I'll try and search for some awesome planters :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

purple

I believe there is misspelling, should be RAKU, type of Japanese pottery.

Rina

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY, Rina! YW, Fluffy.

I forgot about this planter for a minute. It used to be a light. Took 2 of the glass panes out to be able to reach in, add water. Callisia repens in it has filled out a lot since this pic, 9/1, though probably will get frozen tonight.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

How inventive. I got a few.

The first one is a 700LB cauldron top. I used greased wood , crow bars, and cut pieces of rebar to roll it into place. My husband moved it all by ourselves.

Here is a stack of Ford Van brake drums . I would like to get more of these.

This last one is listed here because of sentimentality , It was always at the head of the stairs in my mothers house and she would always call it her brothers name, so this is a family heirloom Called "Uncle Howard" . All three girls wanted this.. I had to play paper sizers stone for it. Uncle Howard was executive and was looking over us resolving this issue. I then told him what it's name was.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

I love all these! Thanks for the clarification on Raku, Rina. I knew something seemed off there. Still love Raku tho. :)