Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrel damaged my testudinaria elephantipes, will it heal?

Posted by robinpla 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 18:59

A squirrel took a chunk out of my quite expensive testudinaria elephantipes (dioscorea?) earlier this year. It has thrived and grown tremendously since, but still has a chunk missing. Will this eventually grow together? I love this plant, but it's somewhat damaged :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrel damaged my testudinaria elephantipes, will it heal?

Is that a Mark Muredian pot, too? Wowsers.

o

No, I made that pot :) And here is a shameless plug for my pottery http://www.robinpetersson.com/pottery/

:)

o

I can't answer your question about the squirrel damage but wanted to say that your pottery is just beautiful.

o

Both the plant and container are very beautiful. Is pottery a hobby or business for you? Are you self-taught? I would love to be able to do something like that. You are very artistic... good for you!

o

Thanks everybody! I used to go to a pottery class for about two years, then I bought a wheel and a kiln so that I could make more experimental pots quicker and at home. I made quite a bit of pottery just after my last job and before I had twins (now a stay at home dad), and in the last two years I haven't made very many at all because I am BUSY :) I have sold maybe 20 pots so I wouldn't call that a business quite yet. Would love to make more and sell some day when I have more time.

o

Here is another picture of the pot...if anyone is interested :)

o

The plant will heal, some of the chunks will fall off, they are like big chunks of bark, but as long as you get a vine the caudex will grow.
I agree, great pot.

o

WOW! Lovely pot and plant. My dioscorea elephantipes is still very young. It's only about the size of a quarter. I cannot wait for it to get bigger! Glad to hear yours will heal!

~Erin~

o

I have had this for 3 years, and I believe the seller told me it was about 2 years when I bought it. It didn't do much the first two years, then this year I put it on top of my garage roof with a 30% shade cloth, and it has literally doubled in size. And it was actually the squirrel attack that prompted me to build boxes out of PVC pipes and shade cloth to protect my plants. So my plants get sun all day long. Some are in full sun, some get 30% shade. It has worked out great!! :) Can't wait until the winter is over to see all my plants THRIVE :)

o

This is mine. It's just a wee little thing. I've had it for a year now. It's dormant at the moment but I expect it to wake up soon. It's actually doubled in size since I bought it and it's starting to get the tell tale cracks and fissures. I'm super excited to have it in collection.

~Erin~

Photobucket

o

What a little cutie!! Good luck with it! Sun, water and fertilizer in when it is growing! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here