Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

'Legolas' crassula

Hi again, on a recent trip to a garden centre I spied a lone tiny Crassula labelled as 'Legolas', it was in a 2inch pot so you can imagine it's vast size! Despite it looking no different to my Hobbit or is it my Gollum, (I can never remember which is which) I spent the kids inheritance and bought it home, lol. Can't find out exactly what a Legolas should look like, some results show a variegated one, others plain green like mine is. I've searched here but got directed to threads with over 100 posts in total...can anyone tell me what a Legolas is 'supposed' to look like, or is someone at the garden centre having a laugh at my (tiny) expense having invented a new 'Lord of the Rings' crassula just for the fun of it? Is there a Gandalf, Frodo or Aragorn out there too I wonder?? No doubt all the characters will appear eventually as slight differences are grown on and sold to us collecting nuts!
Gill UK

Comments (14)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Here is one of the threads, in first photo (and some more further), Josh is showing his Legolas jade - hope this helps little:

see Legolas here

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 19:54

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the link, Rina!

Gill, the Crassula ovata 'Legolas' is a variegated Finger Jade ('Gollum').

There is another Lord of the Rings Jade called Crassula ovata 'Denethor' - it has ridged, highly mutable leaves, and it is known to be an early, reliable bloomer. It was discovered and named by one of our Forum members, Glen (gmaculata). He also was the original source of 'Legolas.'

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've not been on the c/s forum for a while but came back to see if any of you were still around and hey...you are!

Rina, thanks for the link, I had started to trawl through the posts but found it difficult to spot the word/pic of Legolas not knowing exactly what it was! That link really helped, if only to confirm that mine looks nothing like one! Mine is just plain green and is more like the Hobbit in shape. Oh well!

Josh. thanks for your info also. Interesting to read that Glen 'created' Legolas and Denethor. How long ago do you know? Are they currently on sale here in the UK or is it too soon? I rarely see variegated Crassulas here of any kind...will just have to keep my eyes wide open, and maybe check out ebay.

Thanks guys and gals, its good to be back!
    Gill UK

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Good info to know! Josh, do you know if Glen published the names of these new cultivars, making them valid names in the trade~ or are they just his pet names?

10 years ago

Gill and Rosemarie, good morning! Welcome back, Gill.
    I am not sure if Glen has published the names yet, but I will send him a message for more information. Gill, the 'Legolas' and 'Denethor' are fairly new, at least the ones from Glen. It's very likely, however, that other variegated sports/mutations are occuring on Jades around the world, so it's only a matter of time before they become more common in the market. There is another Finger Jade variegation where only the tip half of the leaf is white.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good evening Josh!!... and thanks for the welcome back!!
    Interesting that I found my' tiddler' labelledas a Legolas here in the UK, but as it seems to be just a plain green and regular Hobbit, It only cost less than 1GBP so no worries on that score, the kids can sleep safely knowing the family inheritance is safe!! As mentioned, varieties are thin on the ground here.
    Gill UK

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Thanks, Josh. I look forward to hearing what you find out. It would be nice to have a list for reference of all the validly named Crassula ovata (Jades). It seems to me there are several names being used these days that are considered synonyms of others. Anyone know if such a list exists (current)?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What an excellent idea...I still get my Hobbits and Gollums mixed up! Just looking on ebay only to find a Crassula argentea var 'Rabbit' on offer from Germany!! Again, very much a Hobbit lookalike..to me anyway.
    Gill UK

• Aerial Lindsay
    8 years ago

Could anyone tell me what type this is please?

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

It's a C. ovata etiolate'd

8 years ago

Looks like it could be a compact Jade....but etoliated as Nomen mentioned.

Josh

• Roman Isc
    5 years ago

Hi Gill,

I was wondering do you still have Crassula Legolas?

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I haven't seen Gill here in a while.