Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanksgiving cactus buds not opening

Posted by boothbay 6,7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 19:01

The second batch of buds that appeared are not opening...i have seen a couple of them off the plant. I give it light, watered it, although I once read that they like to stay dry, so not too overwater...Is once a week too much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanksgiving cactus buds not opening

I think the reason for the buds not blooming could be that they are exposed to extremes in temperature. Excess heat or cold will kill off buds, but maybe these cacti are more sensitive to a draft or change in temperature?

I'm not terribly sure about overwatering or underwatering, but for H. undatus, to help prepare for flowering, you let it go dry for a month or so, then water it gradually. So maybe letting the roots go a little dryer than usual would be beneficial to help induce formation of buds? For my Christmas Cactus, I give the plant a normal amount of water, and it perks up fine after or during flowering. Mine will wilt during flowering somewhat, perhaps because of the water and energy needed to keep up a flower, its fruit, or a bud. While it's flowering, probably keep the soil on the moist side.

Kaegen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here