Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Haw Haw Haw

Colleen E
12 years ago

A few Haworthia pictures for enjoyment :)

New find! Haworthia venosa subsp. tessellata

Haworthia chloracantha var. denticulifera

Haworthia cuspidata with a slight glow today

Haworthia cooperi var. cooperi with new pups

Haworthia cooperi var. truncata

^ I can't not feel at least a little bit nice after seeing that in the sunlight.

-- Colleen

Comments (20)

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Very nice, l love the cooperi truncata especially.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Is it showing my dementia or knowledge of trivia that I can only think of

Ma, Ma, where's my pa
    Gone to the White House, Haw, haw, haw

Anyway...in complete agreement with Rian - that one is the most delicious of the sumptuous offerings.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Wow, Teatree,

Nice collection, I'm especially fond of the H veinosa tesselata. Was an early favorite & starter succulent for me. As a recovering textile designer, I just love its pattern & leaf designs.

Ditto on the cooperi truncata, those rounded leaf tips are really something.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love its leaf design too. And I'm almost sorry to hear you recovered from textile design...awesome career path.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Haworthia is a gorgeous genus. Very nice photos; thanks for sharing the beauty.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

So Teatree,

Mind if I add another to your collection? If you like pattern & leaf design, do you know this Haw?

{{gwi:88107}}

One of my absolute beloved plants, H limifolia, it looks like living sculpture to me. The texture & spiral of this one got me & was one of my very first succulents along w/ venosa tessellata. And they need such minimal care, especially this one (found locally at bargain price).

{{gwi:88108}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes'mm! I'd be content with ten or so more H. limifolia if I could get my hands on 'em. Only a couple months ago, I finally ordered myself one off eBay because I hadn't ever seen one locally, and then a week later there was finally one at a local nursery...I wanted to get it, but actually got myself out of there without. Less than a week ago, the same plant was still sitting there, so again it tugged at me a bit.

My H. limifolia:

I love the sculptural quality and one day will finally get myself a variegated. The cost is just outta my budget.

My first Haworthia is still my favorite...H. cooperi var. cooperi.

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Pirate_G...I love the top shot of that limifolia - I understand your love for it too, mine do not have such nice spirals...beautiful plant.

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Teatree, your plants looked so good.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Marie

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Teatree,

Interesting that you had trouble finding it, can't tell what part of the country you're in. As I'd said mine was a local find & I posted here w/ in the last year of finding it bursting w/ pups & cleaning it up. Here's how I found it:

{{gwi:545665}}

the subterranean pup

{{gwi:545667}}

the prior pix were AFTER the cleanup, the mother plant, 2 pups & the 3rd semi-albino pup, all for a big $3.99, good fun!

OH, I meant to say earlier, your photos are really well shot too, superb! Thanks for the beauties!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Oregon--not the ideal place for finding Haworthia, but really, it was just weird that I'd never come upon a limifolia; it's not that uncommon for this area. I live sans credit cards and it's a game of chance when it comes to finding Haws, and in some ways that's fun; it's a surprise. One I have yet to see is H. viscosa, and again, I swear I should finally see it someday. I've been pining for one, and for a H. retusa 'Grey Ghost.'

-- Colleen

Thank you, about the photos! I try. I'm picky. :)

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I love the species also. Those are my favorites, Haw. venosa tessalata has the largest range in Africa, and they are many varieties, the trouble is finding them, with good light they will color up beautifully. Also with H. linefolia. there are several.

12 years ago

Colleen,

For further Haw love, you'd never want to write/call/email

STEVEN HAMMER'S SPHAEROID INSTITUTE. 845 Mason Road, Vista, CA 92084, USA nocturnal phone: (760) 631-7898 email: sphaeroid@juno.com

because anything he writes is of great punny and wise value. He's done some work in Haws, and might not have anything you'd be interested in. You can be guaranteed that he's either been to the place in question (perhaps more than once) and/or knows the source of the seed intimately. Just reading his plant descriptions (the informal ones, because he's also formally introduced plants, lots of 'em, and that requires a fairly inflexible and uncolourful form of description) will make your reading joyful.

• paul_
    12 years ago

Lovely haws folks!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I always appreciate information that could get me into trouble, Jeff. Browsin' pictures taken of Mr. Hammer's plants currently. I see a Haworthia truncata cv saka that knocks my socks off and some Haworthia cymbiformis v. ramosa with the sweetest red tips that I've never seen beforeeee... He seems to have glowing reviews, and definitely will mentally bookmark.

12 years ago

Colleen,

I continue to be at your service wrt hep Haws.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For a pirate gal I re-shot a couple pics of my H. limifolia today. :) Maybe not as nicely shaped as yours, and no pups yet!

We had some actual sunlight today, so Haw pics were necessary, I think.

H. turgida var. suberecta (becoming a favorite, with two new pups)

H. cooperi var. truncata never gets old.

H. cooperi var. cooperi

One of two smaller cuties that have one pup each...best darn little plants these are.

• noki
    12 years ago

Took some shots this sunny cold moring...

How is this H. cooperi classified? Compared to H. cooperi var. truncata?

Here is Haworthia (emelyae var.) comptoniana

H. bayeri I just got. Looks rather lean.

This was labeled H. mirabilis... was kinda purple when I got it

Got a little one of these Zebra like ones, however you choose to classify it. Don't think this one will ever make a column. This is a natural plant I hope, and not a hybrid.

Also got a H. limifolia recently and took a macro shot. A new book I have says that they may go extinct in the wild because natives pick them and put them on their houses to deter lightning strikes!

and here is a non-Haw pic... alien looking Baby Toes in the morning sun. Yes, I know it is growing too loosely.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Teatree & Noki,

Great shots, wonderful variety of looks & textures; makes a wonderful primer on why we grow Haworthias. I could just look at these lovelies all day long, thanks much for the shows!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the pictures! I would very much like to study up on the differences between the different H. cooperi varieties. I wanted to maybe suggest a look at H. cooperi var pilifera, but I'm not sure there. That leaf shape doesn't look like either H. truncata or H. cooperi var. cooperi to my untrained eye.

I could seriously look at these all day.

Your Haworthia (emelyae var.) comptoniana is drool-worthy. I love that shade of green and the subtle design. The H. bayeri I love in terms of its shape. Both, of course, I've never seen in person and don't have myself. And the H. mirabilis is so very pretty.

I love the 'Baby Toes.' I don't have the guts to get any, really. Like Lithops, I fear I wouldn't keep them living.