Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

long aloe walk 3

lzrddr
13 years ago

last installment of aloe walk in my garden at least... there are hundreds more, but most less impressive for now (wait until they get larger).

Sampling of KElly Griffin hybrids... I have about 20 of these, but these were my first three

Aloe krapohliana is a nice, blue smaller species with a relatively large flower

Aloe laeta is a nice Madagascan species with 'fuzz' for teeth... slow plant. Needs more sun than I'm giving it.

eventually a tree aloe, this Aloe litorallis is a slowpoke

Aloe longystyla is a dinky plant, but has a huger flower for how small it is

hybrid Aloe named Aloe 'Lysa'

One of the larger 'plastic-leaf' spotted aloes. Gets nice colors in winter (browns and deep reds with the green)

very well known species, Aloe plicatilis makes a nice bonsai tree aloe... one of the few toothless species (about 12 toothless I know of so far)

Aloe porphyrostachys is a nice spring or summer bloomer

Used to think these were so rare (Aloe maculata variegates), but this one is exceptionally colorless. Yet does great in full sun

Another Kelly Griffin hybrid, Aloe Medium Well Done

Aloe melanacantha has black spines on leaves, and a nice red flower

Aloe microstigma is one of the more colorful species, in both flower and leaf coloration

Aloe mubendiensis has flowers that come in several colors... mine picked yellow-orange to be its color

Aloe munchii flowers

Aloe ortholopha rarely blooms... but got lucky a few years ago

Comments (14)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

last shots of my aloes

Aloe pearsonii gets wonderfully red late summer, but then greens back up again just a month later

Aloe peglarae is a favorite of collectors.. nice color, shape and does not sucker (at least not readily). Flowers rarely, but they are spectacular

Aloe petricola is another favorite of mine... nice color of plant, leaves super thick and firm... and flowers bicoloed and amazing (mine has yet to flower, though).

Aloe petrophila flowers aren't bad, either, though

Aloe pretoriensis has one of the most spectacular infloresences for such an unassuming plant

Aloe reynoldsii looks a lot like A striata, but a little blotchy, and has yellow flowers, not orange

Aloe hybrid Rooikappie, is a fantasic landscape plant... no idea what mix went into this one

Aloe rubroviolacea flowering... nice plant!

close up of Aloe rubroviolacea flowers

Aloe sabaea is one of the weirder tree aloes... very droopy leaves and doesnt' hold too many at a time. Flowers are amazing, though (mine too young to flower yet)

Aloe secundiflora is a great plant... nice colors, good flowers, and flowers multiple times a year

Aloe sheilae is one of the few toothless species

Aloe sinkatana is mostly used as a plant to hybridize with, but pure species has nice flowers

hard to compete with Aloe speciosa flowrs

Aloe striata flowers are nice, too

Aloe tomentosa flowers are unusual- white and fuzzy.. and this one blooms in summer

Aloe vacillans flowers pink-red, or yellow... this is my yellow one

Aloe vanbellenii is a wonderful plant.. nice tall yellow flowers and great color of leaves in winter

Aloe vaombe is one of my favorite tree aloes

last but not least in this tour, Aloe variegata

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post them on Gardenweb for us to enjoy. Please do it again whenever you have another chance. marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Lzrddr,

I cannot believe how beautiful your yard is.... I love all of your pictures...the detail on all of them is quite spectacular!!

I have seen you over on the Palm forum and was and have been impressed with your collection!! Now..seeing your collection of C & S...makes me speechless!! LOL..
    I only wish that I lived close to you so that I could strole by your house and take in the beauty of your yard!

Great work...How in the world do you do it?

Thanks for the tour!!

Laura in VB

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I concur with Laura!!!!!!!!

Amazing and I would even pay a fee to be there i person and have a personal walk through of your yard..Thank you for the free virtual one!

I want an (Aloe maculata variegates) so bad....Oh if only I had one...One of my favorites..

Mike:-)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you that many of the plants are beautiful in my yard.. but the yard itself is poorly landscaped (not one of my specialties, unfortunately) and quite a mess actually (not with trash, but too many plants). That's why all the closeups.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Besides the great plants-I envy you can put them on display like that and they arent gone the next morning!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Mike,

It sounds like (we here on the East Coast) are ready to fly west to see some amazing yard tours!! LOL...we can even stop by Bill's place and James (Freak4Plumeria) he said that he would welcome us any time!!! Then we can visit Jungle Jacks and pay for all of the plants that we will have to Ship back home!!! LOL...That would probably cost more than the plane ticket!!! LOL... Just a nice thought!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Once again, it's WONDERFUL to see your assortment of Aloes (& everything ELSE on the sidelines), Geoff! You have a magnificent jungle (& I understand about the close-up pix...I do the same...but my jungle is not in the same playing field as YOUR jungle)! Thanks for sharing it with us! :D

• bama_gardener
    13 years ago

Beautiful aloes!! Would love to have a display like that. Thank you for all the wonderful pictures.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Wow! Fantastic show! Thanks so much for taking the time to put the names of each variety with the picture. It is so fun to see so many different kinds. Thanks for sharing=)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Lz,

You have a fabulous assortment of Aloes and apparently a lot of room (and the climate) to grow them outside. I'd take a messy landscape with these beautiful plants any day over a perfectly manicured one...

A couple things. First, what is the plant just to the immediate left of A. munchii? Looks vaguely like an Haworthia, but not exactly. I WANT one, whatever it is!! And second, the last photo you have as variegata I'm pretty sure is not. This is a hybrid of variegata that I had a couple years ago that stays stout and chunky, like yours. It's absolutely gorgeous and I wish so much I still had mine. (It got beat up in a hail storm and never recovered...) I can't remember what species it was - I'll try to find out and post back.

And BTW, the flower photos are to die for. You guys out in CA get such beautifully compact flowers!! **sigh**

Denise in Omaha

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Denise,

That looks like a chunky Aloe peglerae or A. claviflora or Aloe somethingelse.

And, lzddr, my sentiments echo those of Ms. Denise.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That aloe to the left of Aloe munchii is a juvenile Aloe asperifolia... the leaves are nice and fat now, but they soon become normal looking aloe leaves as it ages.

the Aloe variegata is just a normal Aloe variegata, not any sort of hybrid. It is just looking very fat that winter (a bit less so now) with a lot of rain.

• paul_
    13 years ago

Those are some beautiful plants! And that Aloe maculata variegata is simply AWESOME!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County