Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Her Blooms were Amazing!

jojosplants
11 years ago

We've had this plant going on 5 yrs. now and this summer she went all out! 7 Blooms at one time! What a show, and the little bees she attracted had a blast in all those flowers. lol..

{{gwi:551991}}

Jojo

Comments (11)

• robinpla
    11 years ago

echinocereus pectinatus? I have one but it has never produced more than one flower at a time. Very nice!!

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Love those flowers! I had one of these but rotted it...

Is that a little euphorbia anoplia there? Love those...

• notolover
    11 years ago

Wow--very beautiful!

I planted one of these in my hardy bed, but I think the ground squirrels buried it.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

JoJo,
    That's the cactus I was drooling over the last time you posted a photo of it. Now I'm really drooling! I found one in town earlier this year, but like Micro, I rotted it. :( Thanks for sharing, I absolutely love those flowers!

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone..Thank you!
    Robin.. I'm a little confused on it's name. The scientific is Echinocereus rigidissimus. The common is Rainbow Hedgehog. It is actually native to Arizona. I will add a link with synonyms.

Microthrix ..
    Are you referring to the one in the second pic sticking out to the left? I have no idea what it is. lol.. I do know it multiplies like crazy and if you want some come spring, yell. ;-) I just did a quick search and it may be. It grows like crazy and i have to constantly thin it out. So if you want some i'll share.

Notolover... that's a shame! Luckily I don't have trouble with them.

Info I have found on this suggests about 8" tall. This is more like 12"! Everything in this container grows well. I do have to watch it starts to lean to the sun and turn the dish from time to time.

It's gotten so tall I worry it will tople over in such a shallow dish.

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Hedgehog.

• paul_
    11 years ago

Gorgeous flowers!

• robinpla
    11 years ago

Comparing the flowers I can tell that yours is a rigidissimus, otherwise the body looks pretty much the same (to me:).

The rigidissimus's common names are Arizona Rainbow, or Hedgehog Cactus. And the pectinata's common names are Comb Hedgehog or Texas rainbow cactus. Does that make it even more confusing, haha :)

Pretty nonetheless.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a little! LOL! Yeesh! 1 name would be enough you'd think. lol...

plantomaniac08~ I didn't mean to make you drool. lol..
    Everything I've read on this says it's real prone to rot, especially in winter. I do move it during extended winter rains up under our patio. In the summer we just splash it here and there when watering the flower bed behind it.

It's happy and rewards us that's for sure.

Hi Paul! Thank you!

Jojo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

JoJo,
    the blooms AND the color of the trunk are wonderful!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Jojo!! You mean to tell me that is what mine would of looked like if I hadn't killed it? It beautiful! Oh, wow, I remember when you got this one. Nice.

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh! Thanks! I love her color too!

Mike! not you too! Sorry to hear yours didnt make it. :-( I remember you posting pics of it.

Her sibling is in the ground, gets more sun and less water and is only 3" tall!!!!
    She gets morning sun, filtered late day and a decent amount of water. I can't believe the difference between the 2 plants!

JoJo