Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Gollum? Hobbit ?Jade (Photo)

puglvr1
16 years ago

I was wondering if someone can tell by this picture if this is a Gollum, Hobbit Jade, or something else. This is only my second jade( I have the reg. crassula ovata) and am very new to growing these.

I purchased the plant this morning, one of a kind, next to the cactus, label only had the upc and price, no care instructions.It was marked down and it looked like it needed a little TLC, besides I really like it. I removed as much of the old soil and repotted it in cactus, turface and small sharp pebbles for fast drainage.They had it in a shaded area, should I slowly introduce it to direct sunlight or can this go directly in the sun? I assume the care is similar to the Jade, water well when growing and let soil dry out completely. Can this take the same temperature? I live in central florida.

Thanks in advance for any help...

{{gwi:716063}}

{{gwi:716065}}

Comments (16)

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Good selection and you are right, it is Crassula ovata or agentea 'Gollum' it will clean up as it grows new leaves. It has a terrific base, (trunk) and very interesting, grow it in good light and you will be surprised what color it will get. Underwater the plant during the hot months. I have never flowered mine, enjoy your plant, Norma

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

I was surprised to see this dish garden type plant selling for three figures at about 30" at a C&S show.I have one (14-16") in a Mexican terra cotta 16" bowl. It was slightly cut back by 30F night temps over a four or five day period in January 07.
    Also a popular plant with the grab and run with cuttings, crowd...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Norma,

Thanks so much for the fast reply, it really is a very interesting looking plant and I think has a lot of potential, assuming I don't screw it up. I was very lucky to have found it. Jade plants are very new to me, but I am really getting into them. I am now looking for the Hummel's sunset jade. Really appreciate your expertise.

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

here is a photo of my Hobbit. I hope this helps you a bit.

{{gwi:716067}}

{{gwi:716069}}

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

The photo above is Jade Gollum. Hi publvr, I noticed that you live in Florida cut way back on water now. In the Spring keep it on the dry side. These plants will absorb any moisture that is in the air through their leaves. They are famous for this, so they will need less water from you, unless you live in a dry inland island in the middle of the state, that doesn't get more than 4" or rain during the year like they get in Africa. Norma

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi stanofh, that would be a nice size specimen to see,lucky for me it was an excellent price,but it is a very small plant, but very cute.I'm sure yours is really nice.

Hi Passion for flowers, your plant is so "Beautiful", really heathty and full.How old is it and what size pot is it in? Can I ask you what type of fertilizer you use? Thanks for sharing that picture, I have something to strive for.

Hi Norma, I really appreciate the advise on watering, I will definitely do that. Thanks again...

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

Hi Puglvr1;
    Thank you,
    Not for sure of the age I have only had it since May of this year. It was pretty small. I got it in a little 2 1/4"x21/4 pot. The pot it is in now is a 6 inch pot. I only fertilized it twice over the summer and that was with Bloom buster by Miracle Gro.Just what I was using on all my outdoor plants. It is planted in 50% mushroom compost, 25% potting soil and 25% gravel. When I repot in the spring I will be eliminating the potting soil and using coconut coir in its place.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Passion for flowers,

Wow, I can't believe you only had the plant for 6 months, I had no idea it grows that fast. When did you repot to a 6" pot? Thanks for the fertilizer/ soil info...

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

Hi Puglvr1
    I believe I planted it right away. It was in such a small pot.

• maxthedog
    16 years ago

I too have this plant. It is the perfect species for bonsai training. The thick woody branches and stems get knarly and stout rather quickly.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am really very excited about discovering these plants. I knew about Jades, the reg Crassula Ovata, but the gollum and hobbit and crosses are very new to me till I wandered on this forum and they are really attractive. The colors and shapes are very unique. I have to watch myself, I can see this new found hobby can get out of control very quickly. I find myself checking the cactus/succulent section of most of the stores I shop at. It's very addicting...

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

They are not X's they are sports. They are really not good for Bonsi unless you are very experienced. They can grow several feet high, (3-4ft.) Mushroom compost will make any thing grow big fast. I just hope it won't harm the plant, they are not used to rapid growth. I would cut the mushroom stuff down to only 10% of your mix. This sport doesn't really need much encouragement to grow. Norma

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can I ask anyone out there what their opinion is on glazed pots for Jades and their varieties? My gut instinct is telling that its probably not a good idea, but I do live in florida, where the winter is for the most part pretty mild. Thought I'd ask if anyone had any issues using these pots. I was given a couple of nice ones (with a drainage hole in the middle)but if its not a good idea then I won't use them.

Thanks

• airedale4mom
    16 years ago

As an experiment I have 2 of my jades planted in glazed pots, outside glazed and upper inch or two of inside glazed, rest of the inside is porous. In comparison to my terra cotta potted jades the glazed plants can go between a few days to a week longer before watering during the heat of the summer here in So. CA. Might be a good idea to make sure you're using a loose, quick draining mix without peat and use a wooden dowel or store bought moisture reading meter to avoid watering too soon.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Passion for flowers,

I really like the small river rock that you have as top dressing on your Jades. Can I ask you where you get it from. I have only found the bigger size here, can't seem to find that size anywhere. Prefer not to have to pay shipping if at all possible, that would weigh a ton. Thanks...

Airedale4mom,

Thanks for the reply, I think I will try one plant and see how it does. I will make sure the soil is very fast draining.

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

Airedale4mom,

I buy them in the fish dept at Walmart. I just bought a bag at Meijer's that are just a bit smaller then these. The Walmart bag is 5 lb bag for 3 something. Meijer's I paid 12.$ for a 25.00.

Hope this helps. I had a really hard time finding anything small too.