Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actualplant

I'm an idiot please Identify my plant.

actualplant
9 years ago

This is one of my succulents, the other being Calvin the Kalanchoe. This one DOES NOT HAVE A NAME YET BECAUSE I don't really know what type it is (and if I make a name for it, it needs to be an alliteration, like Calvin the Kalanchoe.)

The succulent in question seems very hardy, judging by the fact that leaving it entirely neglected on the roof of my house for five months did nothing to stunt its growth and it survived three frosts before I was able to get it inside. (I was very busy.)

So I really would appreciate it if someone could identify it for me so that I can go about caring for it the right way. Its stem has become woody and I want to divide it and plant clippings of it into separate pots. That's called propagating I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, I can kind of just snip a piece off and replant it and if I care for it right it will take root and do its thing. Can anyone, based on the picture, give me any information as to how I should go about this, in addition to identifying it? Would be much appreciated as I have no idea what I am dealing with here and Google is absolutely no help.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• hookilau
    9 years ago

I'd like to see more pictures that include the whole plant in pot as well as another close up of a rosette. But no matter, I think it needs a beheading =D

I'd say you're right about needing to re-hab this plant.

If it were mine, I'd snap off the lower leaves to root, then cut off each rosette with about 1" of stem & plant in a gritty mix to root.
    (see link below, complete with pictures)

I would not discard the remainder of the plant, the stems should produce additional rosettes. (see other link below, also with pics)

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like an overgrown echeveria of some kind.

how to root leaves:
    http://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/04/echeveria-propagation.html

post beheading & update on rooted leaves from above link:
    http://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/06/propagating-echeverias-update.html

Good luck with it & I'd love to see an update in a few weeks or so.

If you root leaves, rosettes & keep stem, you should have plenty to share with friends ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: succulent pruning

• spapa
    9 years ago

Looks like xGraptosedum 'Francesco Baldi'

Here is a link that might be useful: xGraptosedum 'Francesco Baldi'

• actualplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whelp I can only upload one picture per follow-up so here goes the first of three follow-ups with pictures. This is what the base looks like. As you can see, the stems are woody and two of them have no rosettes on them and there's also some new growth sprouting up which I am happy about.

• actualplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another shot that shows the stems better..

• actualplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the whole thing so you can see how overgrown it is.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Darlin', if you're an idiot, then I am at least a moron. LOL

I think Spapa is right on the ID. I, too, have a neglected, overgrown Graptosedum, a Vera Higgins. You can see how it is already back budding in the middle. (I really thought this plant would look good here, but it blends in with the gravel!)

So off with their heads and start rooting some leaves. The link Hookilau posted is good! I always have a tray of leaves going.

• hookilau
    9 years ago

spapa:
    Good call!!!

I'm with Crenda & spapa, looks just like the plant in the link.

Actualplant:
    Hard to tell when so far overgrown, but the additional pics sure helped. Good luck & have fun with it =D

Crenda:
    Even overgrown, yours is pretty. Is that in the ground?
    Lookit all the new babieees on it!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

hookilau - It is in the ground, in a hole full of gritty stuff. Just when I thought it was on its last legs (or roots) it started making babies. And the heads perked up, too! I should know better than to give up on a succulent.

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Crenda:

ha ha!!
    I'm learning that very lesson toooo!!

It's getting cold here in NY & I had a couple of plastic pots full of discarded gritty mix (nappa floor dry - yuk) on the corner of my patio, that I had been ignoring since last May.

I dug up 3 volunteers of unknown origin & potted up in teeny 2.25" terracotta pots. I'm pretty sure most are jades of some kind, and one is sedum tetractinum coral reef.

Sooooo cuuute!!!
    =D

Here is a link that might be useful: volunteers

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Today I was outside clearing debris, weeds and palm seeds away from my plants. I picked up what looked like a dried leaf. Son of a gun! It was a little rosette from my Vera Higgins that had gotten knocked off. It was laying upside down, but sure was putting out roots trying to find the soil and water.

These plants sure have a will to survive!