Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenle_gw

TC weirdness

lenle
11 years ago

I picked this up while shopping, because I couldn't resist the price or the uniqueness. The blooms are from the same stem, though I'm not sure the picture is the best at showing that.

Jeni

Comments (10)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Jeni, if I take a pencil and draw a line from one blossom to the other, you are saying the pencil will not touch the ground? That truly is weird. My bet is that the 2 stems were rooted near each other, maybe against each other, but the if the pencil were to touch each bloom, it would have an air gap or touch the ground.

The reason I say that is that both these colors are common in the trade, and for a white plant to make a perfect clone of a salmon color already existing after years of hybridization is not likely. I'm sure somebody can supply us with the exact names of the varieties.

• cahac
    11 years ago

Hirt has been selling this combination for the last few years. they have them on Ebay now. but they just list the colors not the names of the varieties.
    cliff

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, Dzitmoidonc, I'm not following what you're asking. The blooms are on the same stem, but on different branches coming off of it. It's one whole rooted section. Here's another angle:

cahac - I'll have to look on Ebay and see what I can find! I'm very curious as to how a single stem can have two different colors on it. I really do love the mix of white and orange, too.

Jeni

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

No possibility of a graft? Otherwise, I am confused...

Christopher

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Yeah, me too. I've grown up many seeds from the same seed pod and gotten a pot of differently colored blooms squished together so you can hardly tease them apart, but never seen anything like that second picture. I looked on the Hirt's website and they have that combo listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two color pot of CC for sale

• val1
    11 years ago

Wow! That really is a unique TC! I love the salmon color. Has anyone heard of other plants flowering different colors on one stem? Perhaps sweet peas?

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Even Hirt's calls it a Christmas Cactus, hehe. That's really bizarre, two colored flowers emerging from one stem, I've never seen that before. Really unique and a great find (I love that salmon color... why don't we ever get those kinds of plants here?).

Planto

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see if this one puts out more off color blooms and whether it'll do the same the next time it blooms. It helps make up for not finding a pure orange one this year (the one I bought last year failed to bloom for me).

Jeni

• cahac
    11 years ago

Jeni,
    I think if you gently lift the stem w the white blooms you will find another stem with the orange bloom right against the white. there is another orange bud, not connected to the stem with white. I know Hirt's put their stems right against each other when they made a pot up, because i ordered 1 last year for my neighbor.
    You can get white with a lot of pink on it as well as yellow with pink but that is because the plant was too cold when the buds were forming,
    cliff

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cliff,

I thought to check for that, thinking it might be two separate stems right on top of one another. But it's really one stem with one branch having a white bloom and the other branch having the orange/salmon bloom. So far, that particular branch is the only one to sprout a non-white bloom.

Jeni