Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grabmebymyhandle

My Aloe plicatilis...

grabmebymyhandle
11 years ago

Just got this bad boy 6 months ago, its been on my must have list for some time...

Its about 10 inches tall, potted in miracle grow moisture mix, on my desk in my window less office, My question when will it flower?

Im joking, just tryin to mess with a few of you guys : D

It is actually about 10 inches tall, its just starting to branch, but it is still in the crappy peat mix from the grower, i got it at the big box store, imagine that.

Its lookin nice, Im aware its a winter grower and mines woken up good, its pushed out near a dozen new leaves in the 3 weeks its been at full activity.

Ive never grown one before, and dont have the best luck with winter growers historically, Ive tried to do my homework but i still could use some advice, Im thinking now that its growing again im safe to repot it, i know its best done during dormancy but i didnt want to chance losing it while it was asleep and potentially weak from bad culture and a rough trip. Sound about right?

Any other advice would be just fine too, Ive wanted one of these guys a while now and would like for it to be all it can be, I plan to propagate as much as possible, as well as hopefully generate several nice specimens.

Thanks

Comments (16)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

When you said did it flower my face went ---> -_-
    And then i laughed when you said you were joking!

I killed one of these about 4 months ago from not knowing they are summer dormant, and it rotted to a piece of doo-doo. I got another one right after learning they despise water in summer. Other than that, i dont know their exact needs :o im going to keep my eyes on this!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I take it this species needs to be pretty big to flower?

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I have some relatively small plants flower, but these may have been old, stunted plants. I have had several of these for years and not one has flowered yet. Mine are about a 20 gal size (though in the ground).

• amccour
    11 years ago

I found one of these at Lowes a few weeks ago and had to replant it immediately since the soil was awful and had yellow stuff growing in it.

I tend to underwater my succulents, which I think would probably be okay for keeping an A. plicatilis alive but would inhibit growth a lot. So out of curiosity, how much water do these want during active growth, and how little water should it get during dormancy?

I usually lightly water my succs once a month when they're dormant*. Would that be okay for an A. plicatilis? The substrate I put it in is mostly large bark and perlite.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Large bark and perlite is not the normally encountered growing medium for Aloes, but if it works for you....

Although plicatilis is summer dormant, a few light waterings won't harm it from my experience. Mine is small, only 2 heads, but it did bloom 2 years ago. None last year, none this year yet. Flowers are underwhelming. I guess a whole tree of them would get your attention, but Pennsylvania pot culture means the plant here will likely never provide a perch for a bird, let alone an eye catching flower display.

Bob Smoley had an in-ground specimen at his old greenhouses near Pittsburgh. Quite spectacular just to see one, but never saw it in bloom.

• amccour
    11 years ago

"Large bark and perlite is not the normally encountered growing medium for Aloes, but if it works for you...."

It's not what I normally use for succulents, but it's what I had available, and I sort of had to repot it as soon as I got it. It should still pretty loose and fast-draining. I hope.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

amccour, the problem arises when the bark decays and really holds water for a long time. So far as the bark itself, Aloes are tolerant of many types of soil. Don't try that with Haworthias, you'll never keep roots.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

some blooms on an old plant at the Huntington

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Here are some plants not even 3' tall yet blooming in southern California... I think their position in full sun and against a warm wall is helpful, too

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so now that its growing, safe to repot, any special mix for it?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

gritty, very gritty, no peat.

They bloom pretty small.

The individual spike is maybe not spectacular, but when you get 100 spikes at the same time, they look pretty great.

• amccour
    11 years ago

"amccour, the problem arises when the bark decays and really holds water for a long time"

Oh, I know. I'm not planning on using this as a long-term potting substrate. It was the least water-retentive thing I had available and nobody's selling anything grittier around here till spring.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Hello everyone, I hope no one minds me jumping in the middle of this post to ask a Q. About my plic.

I noticed today that the leafs on mine which are in pots look droopy, like arched leafs. I haven't over watered and the only water has been light rain, And some miracle grow mixed with rain water.

Any suggestions on the droopy look? Maybe tomorow I'll post a pic of my Plic.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions,

Greg

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

possible lack of light many aloe will reflex their leaves in an attempt to get more light, just a thought... a pic would help too

• hijole
    11 years ago

They say A picture paints a 1000 words, well let's see, here's a picture of my Plic that is bent over on some leafs and also feel very lifeless.

Not enough light could be the problem but its not sitting in the dark either.

But I appreciative any and all suggestions then I can narrow it down.

I've had this plant for around three years it has bloomed for me last year and has been healthy but when I noticed this post I took a look at mine and thought, emmm looks like It's wilted.

Greg

• hijole
    11 years ago

They say A picture paints a 1000 words, well let's see, here's a picture of my Plic that is bent over on some leafs and also feel very lifeless.

Not enough light could be the problem but its not sitting in the dark either.

But I appreciative any and all suggestions then I can narrow it down.

I've had this plant for around three years it has bloomed for me last year and has been healthy but when I noticed this post I took a look at mine and thought, emmm looks like It's wilted.

Greg

{{!gwi}}