Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Euphorbia, anyone recognize this?

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 21:16

A second post here rather than piggyback on the white Euphorbia post. This is an plant I originally purchased as an unlabeled plant at Succulent Gardens Nursery near Moss Beach. Robin Stockwell wasn't around to ask the name for this, does anyone recognize it? TIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery white Euphorbia species

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Euphorbia, anyone recognize this?

Euphorbia mammillaris

o

Euphorbia fimbriata f. variegata (more often than not called Euphorbia mammillaris f. variegata).

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 1:50

Thank you for the quick id on this, both of you. I had no idea this could/will get quite large if it matures, it looked as if it would stay dwarf to me when I bought them. I have probably not really given them perfect growing conditions, but they've survived their first two winters, and received no special soil amending to improve drainage. I suspect this isn't long term hardy with our winter cold and wet here in the SF Bay Area. I find myself intrigued by the genus, but have only used about a dozen species so far. I wish I knew of sources for the South African Medusa-head types I've seen out at the Ruth Bankcroft Garden. I've had good luck with lambii, dendroides, mauritanica, ammak variegata, rigida, myrsinites, Ascot Rainbow, Tasmanian Tiger, to name a few. If we tend towards dryer winters and hotter summers, Euphorbs may well make increasingly useful drought tolerant shrubs.
Also, anyone else growing Kleinia nerifolia from the Canary Islands? Another Euphorbia look-alike that I really like the looks of, but relatively slow growing and much plumper and lusher growing here than photos of same in habitat.

o

Hi RoRo. So ecstatic to see you back that I will buck protocol and post. Great to hear from you.
Indeed, McHarris trying to fill your shoes! (Love you too Jeff, but hey la, hey la, our girlfriend's back!)

o

Glad to help, David! Love your work!! Great to see pix of all!

Ha ha, thanks, Dzitmo!! Just getting my fix while I can jump in & out of the forum. Love the song, too! Hey, Jeff is doing good! =)

o
RE: Mystery Euphorbia, more

Forgot to say, I do not grow Senecio neriifolia, but can see how some Euphorbia would do well in your plantings, David. I, too, would like to find more Medusa-head plants for sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here