Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mittengirl_gw

Most reliable place to purchase Schlums?

MittenGirl
10 years ago

I am looking for a Samba Brazil, and some of the other unique colors. The only stores near me that sell Schlums are HD, Lowe's, and Walmart. I am willing to order, but the only place I have found them are on Ebay.

I am also looking for cuttings of a real Schlum if anyone has some they are willing to offer. Unfortunately I am just getting into house plants, so I have nothing to offer for trade.

Thanks all!

This post was edited by MittenGirl on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 8:03

Comments (136)

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I got my plants from Bob's today. I was not expecting them! I had been looking for a shipping notice, but maybe I missed it. The Samba is a nice rooted plant with a couple of stems, and a couple of buds, no flowers. The Vila Velha is pretty large, looks like it was a 4" pot, with some buds as well. Not sure they will open for me with all the travel and cold temps, and change in environment. But if they do I will take pics and figure out how to post them. :)

No extras for me! :(

They look like they are in a peat based mix. Do you guys still try to remove it when repotting or just pot them up to reduce stress?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Ah-ha! So maybe the trick to extras is to call with a question and speak to a person :)

So hmm. I would probably just leave them in that soil, but iirc, you're a heavier waterer-- so you could just repot now, knowing it may cause bud drop. Or you could wait on disturbing the root ball until afterward? I just presented you with no actual answers there lol.

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I have three arms on My Samba, and a lot my more on the Vila.

What type of planter do you guys use? Plastic or Terracotta?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I usually used glazed ceramic, actually. With no drainage hole lol. If I do terra cotta they dry out so quickly, but that would be my second choice.

• val1
    10 years ago

MittenGirl - I am glad you received your plants from Bob's. I bet the buds will hold and open. I have not had any buds drop on mine. I am hoping you get a pic of the Vila Vehla. I was so close to ordering it. I was surprised about the bonuses I received. I did enjoy talking to the lady at Bob's as she was very helpful and fun to visit. She said she could see the hoyas from her desk. I would love to work there.

So one bud on Outono Brazil opened today and it is a beautiful, bright yellow.

And a new bloom opened on Samba Brazil.

Here are a couple of pics of the plants after I potted them up in their new 6" pots. You can see the size of the plants a little better now. I did not remove all of the peat around the roots because the roots looked so tiny and I was afraid to disturb them. I did try to remove a little by rinsing them under water but I was not very successful. I potted them in a 5:1:1 mix. These pots are plastic with a drain hole (and a plug) in the bottom. I also like ceramic pots with holes but they are heavy and sometimes expensive.
    {{gwi:472150}}

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Val-- those are amazing! I am feeling more and more like I want Outono Brazil! I know I listed it as a want, but then I was kind of on the fence.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Val...gorgeous pictures!! Thanks for posting!

Julianna, Congrats on passing your exams and I hoope you find the TC colors you're looking for...

Mittengirl, I have used both Clay and plastic. Looking at my small collection it just so happens most of them are in Clay pots maybe because I'm a heavy waterer by nature and Clay is a little more forgiving especially here in the FL rainy summers since they live outside almost all year. For me a drainage hole is a must or I would definitely kill them all with root rot! also remove as much of the old soil (peat based) as possible before I repot or you will have an uneven moisture retention between the old and new potting mix...But its best to wait till the blooms are done so you don't risk them dropping.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Great Pics! That Samba Brazil is looking great!

Nancy, is that 50/50 bark and perlite mix working well for you? I'm trying to figure out what to switch to.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Camellia1,

I'm someone who doesn't use the bark mix, I tend to use my homemade Hoya mix (has some bark). I also use African Violet mix w/ extra perlite (maybe 30-40% more perlite); makes a light & fluffy mix for them.

What I discovered NOT to use is Cactus & Succulent (C&S) mix as it's too heavy & lean for these plants.

To this end, it's helpful to remember these are tropical jungle cacti, not arid land cacti. It can rain a lot &/or often where there are from (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where I grew up).

In native habitat, these plants found in the crotches & branches of trees, so really they're in leaf debris & whatever animal droppings happen their way (not soil of any kind).

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

LOL! That was my next though...C&S mix with perlite.

Bob's Sambra Brazil is "SOLD OUT!"

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Thanks puglvr!

OMG BSG is out of Samba? :(

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Nancy, your picture of the orange schlumbergera was posted by GardenWeb as their pic of the day on Facebook!

• val1
    10 years ago

Puglvr1 - Congratulations on pic of the day!

Laura - Thanks for posting about it. I never thought to follow Gardenweb on Facebook.

Julianna - Were you able to find an orange schlumbergera at WM? I went there yesterday and saw three that looked similar to Puglvr1's. They might have been a little more red in color. I hope you find the one you want.

Camellia1 & Julianna - Last year I tried to order Samba Brazil from Bob's because it was cheaper than eBay, but they had sold out. When I called Bob's on Monday, she said that there were some that she would sell out of this week or next. I figured that Samba would be one of them. It has been so popular. She said that during the summer is a good time to order, but I always get so busy and forget.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I didn't get to go look yet. I was thinking to go tomorrow if I can make it. Today it was pouring and I forgot my umbrella lol.

• val1
    10 years ago

I thought I would share a website that I love to look at from time to time (each year when I become obsessed with these plants). This individual has tons of photos of the different varieties of Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter cactus (and many orchid cactus too).

http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_galerie_zygocactus_de_ma_collection_photos.htm

And I enjoyed reading the story posted about a Christmas Cactus that was rescued. I almost cried when I read the sentimental ties to the plant and saw the first photo.

http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_sauvetage_schlumbergera_00.htm

I wish I knew how to provide a link.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I love that site, Val!

OK, I stopped today and our WMs suck. Only one had CC, and it didn't have any orange.. until i saw it had an accidental orange branch in a white one. So I got that. I'm going to try to contact the nursery to see if I can get the names.

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - Look on the bright side, you get two colors for the price of one. I am glad you found at least a branch of orange. I am waiting for the store that had named ones last year to get their shipment this year. I probably will just look (and not buy) because I am running out of room. They got in a couple of named desert rose but I have nowhere to put one.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Three even-- I think there is a pink branch in there as well. I emailed the company, so we'll see if they answer me as to what the names are that they are shipping to WM/growing.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Was told Bob is not well and may not have Samba next year.

Congrats Julianna, that is a great deal 3 in one pot!

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - What company does yours say? Mine was Mid-American Growers in Granville, IL. I never did try to contact them. I tried last year to track down the name of one TC I purchased at WM. It is a light yellow. It is budding up and I am anxious to see it bloom again. Most of the buds fell off last year.

Camellia - I was also told that Bob is not well. I plan to order in the spring, but I am ordering hoyas and perhaps Vila Velha if it is still available.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Oh, the TC Samba Brazil are just gorgeous. And I really like your yellow Nancy too. I know I have a PROBLEM...I like them all, lol!

I stopped by the grocery store this evening (yes had to check out TC). Found this Salmon!! It was the only Salmon they had. Its not as pretty as yours Nancy but Im still tickled. It had one bloom a littled knocked around.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Oh I am not excited to hear Samba is out since I just finally sold something and have the money to make an order! That was my main reason for wanting to order though. If anyone who just ordered Samba would be willing to talk, I'd love to try to work something out.

I heard Bob is not well too. :(

This makes me wonder if I should just order the others now. And I just had a not-so-pleasant experience with an eBay seller I was hoping to get some things from... so I don't know. Nothing bad happened, but I felt it was just.. unpleasant...

Val-- It was listed as A&A in PA, and that is apparently Van Hoekelen. SO we'll see if they answer. I think it's worth a try. Someone must know what they were supplied with.

Teisa-- gorgeous! I also like them all!

Here is a link that might be useful: A&A

• val1
    10 years ago

Teisa - The salmon color is beautiful!

Julianna - The one I purchased last year was from A&A Kline Twp, PA too. So I hope you are successful in finding what they stock. I also hope you are able to find a Samba. If mine grows well I may have cuttings to trade in the summer.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Thanks Val! They're out of outono brazil now too! Now there isn't enough for me to make an order. I shot myself in the foot here.

If I don't hear something in a week, I'll try calling them. I asked for list of everything they stocked so if they comply, then I should be able to track down your colors too!

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have two Samba Brazils, two Aspens, and a larger Vila Velha that I would be willing to share cuttings from once they grow a little more.

I stopped by my local grocery store and they had tons of 4" TC full of buds. They look like they will be pink, or pink and white. We also stopped at a plant store and they had just gotten their shipment in. Lots and lots of big TC in red, pink, white... I didn't look too closely, but I plan on going back. My hubby was with me and I think he was getting suspicious. LOL

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

I've been reading all the posts but haven't had a chance to post myself.
    The pics are so very beautiful. I love all the vibrant colors of the flowers and the green of the plants themselves.
    I too ordered from Bob Smoley's. I received my plants in 4 days. I only wish I had a few extra days to find a hiding place before hubby found the box. My order included Sambra Brazil, Vila Velha Brazil, Christmas Fantasy, and Christmas Flame. I must have been the last to order Sambra B. because I received a very small plant, BUT I was given a monsterously huge Esperito Brazil in addition to what I ordered. The Esperito is large enough to fully fill a 6" pot. All the other plants are huge.
    I am very pleased and right now I'm fighting the urge to shop for more.
    My collection of Christmas aka Thanksgiving cactus involves a long list, so I too am willing to trade when weather permits.
    Last summer I ordered a true CC from a seller on eBay what I received was not really worth the money and very different from what was pictured (description stated that plant in pic is what was for sale). A note was sent to me that what I was sent is much better than what was pictured, it certainly was not! But I was excited to have a CC. After months and most of the plant dying I finally succeed in getting the thing to grow! Now it's getting bigger by the day and has a few buds...or maybe it's my wishful thinking.
    Karen

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Karen and Kenesha,

I would love to trade if either of you are interested! Just let me know!

At least all the SAmbas went to a good home :) I am really wanteding Christmas Flame too and Outono Brazil. They still have the first, but now they only have 2 things I want. I'm hoping that when they get more Hatiora/Rhisalidopsis that the Schlums last... or that I can get them in the meantime.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura for letting me know...I wouldn't have known since I don't have Facebook any longer...That's pretty Cool!!

Teisa, Congrats on finding that beautiful salmon color...very nice!!

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - Did you hear back from A&A? I called them today after I called Mid-American Growers (the place that supplied my Walmart this year) and they said just "schlumbergera truncata". When I asked about varieties, she said they do not disclose that info. So I am hoping you get a nicer person than I did. I am fairly sure that the yellow I got from them last year is Limelight Dancer. Someone on the schlumbergera group on Facebook posted a picture that looks just like it and Frank Supplie indentified it that way. Mid-American Growers was very helpful when I called them. It appears that they are growing some of the Thor series. He said they had Kiri, Isabella, Ritt, Livia, Eliza, Freya and Emily. The most selection was in the 6" and 8" pot size. I was trying to find the name of a pink on at my Walmart. He said the 4" white one I bought would be Sicily (Livia was only in 6" and 8") but I have never heard of it before.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I still haven't heard from them! But they are the ones who supplied that one I got that was labeled Caribbean Dancer. So at least we have one name, even if they refuse to disclose the others. I wonder why they won't say?

I saw that in the Schlum group! It's kind of funny when you realize how small the garden world is online :)

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - I am glad you found one with a name. I think you are right about them growing the Dancer series. I do not know why they would not disclose what they were growing. The grocery store near me finally got a shipment of named ones but they were pink, red and white and $6 for a 4" pot. They said they will get more next week. I really do not need any more but I just like to look at what they have.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

WM is still the only place here that ever got any! I am beginning to lose hope. My friend is going to Chicago though and I sent her on a mission to go look for me.

I think they were doing Caribbean Dancer and Jolly Dancer for sure, and then maybe the orange is Beach Dancer? It looked a lot like several of the Beach Dancer pics. I didn't see a white though in the dancer series, so I am not sure what that would be. I was thinking to post some pics on FB and see if anyone can ID them.

Have you been watching the eBay listings? There is a huge TC up that looks interesting-- like the same one that is listed as "white buckleyi" (but has pointed phylloclades, so you know it's at least more truncata than russeliana).

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

What Schlum group are you ladies talking about?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

There are a few-- this one was Planet Epiphyllum-Schlumbergera. There is also one called Schlumbergera, one called Christmas and Thanksgiving Cactus, and then a trading group for epiphytic cacti. There are epiphyllum groups and rhipsalis groups too.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Juliana,
    I have several different of the 'dancers' and 'thors' among others.. I'll give you a list later or just name one. Right now temps are dipping into freezing. Easter cactus are also in my collection. I don't know the names but there are light pink, orange, fuchsia, and red. A white is among my hunt for list. I also acquired an epiphylium this summer. The epi is a rapid grower and so easy to propagate from a cutting.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Enteretoxigenic00-- I'm sending you a message :)

• teisa
    10 years ago

I grow mine very much like PirateGirl, African violet soil, with 50% perilite, and add bark. I'm looking for the bark Nancy posted. Im gonna try my new TC in bark/perilite.

Julianna, I wanted to tell you I cringed when I read you have yours potted without a drain hole. They will not last very long like that Im afraid. My mother-in-law had a true CC and it failed after many years. When I posted a picture on the forum many people told me hers died because she did not have it in fast draining mix. She potted hers in only MG soil and no perilite. It has to have drainage to survive. All my new ones and hers, I'm repotting after they bloom.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Teisa-- guess that depends on how you define very long. My mom has a CC from my grandmother which has been potted without a drain hole for over 90 years. No drain hole doesn't equal certain death. Just like fast draining mix also doesn't equal certain death-- my grandmother used soil from her yard-- a silty loam.

I guess it also depends on if you realize what has to be done if you don't have drain holes. What matters IMO is that you understand what the plant needs, what are the problems with certain situations, and then what has to be done to counteract them. Growing things in a pot isn't particularly natural for any plant. Epiphytic cacti do grow in the crotches of trees though, which is about as pot-like as you can get in a way, and the ones I have seen actually in tree crotches didn't have drain holes. But there are other factors involved with their situation.

I think if someone is a heavy or even average waterer and is not interested in flushing their pots and the rest, then it is certainly problematic.

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I had the chance today to go to WM and see if they had any TC. They did not, not a single one. But I stopped back at the Specialty nursery right down the road and they had them in. I saw them a week or two ago, but I was with the hubby so I couldn't really look without him getting suspicious. LOL
    This time I got a good look. They had tons of 4 and 6 inch pots with no names, and lots of 8 inch pots with no names. However, I did find several 8 inch pots with big healthy plants overflowing with blooms that had names. It looked like it was the "Thor" series. They were very pretty!
    Anyone else finding any hidden gems?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Nothing here! I had to cave and get a few online. They haven't arrived yet. We'll see what happens with that! I got Dragon Beauty, Thor Amanda, Pandora, and white buckleyii. The white x buckleyii has some truncata-type phylloclades in the pics and some x buckleyii type. I may have also managed to secure 4 orchids through various cat-sitting services :P

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

And LOL at your husband and suspicion. I was reading back through a few of these threads and there seems to be a common theme of the suspicious spouse and our sneaky behaviors. :P

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julianna where did you find Thor Amanda? That is one I was looking for but have not seen any available online. They did not have that one at the store I go to.
    Are you one of the people that has the two tone TC? I saw in another thread someone has that one, but I have no clue what the name is.
    Yes my hubby gets suspicious when I look at plants. I know it's a problem when I hid a plant in the basement last night. I have been wanting a curly spider plant (Bonnie). Yesterday I went to the local grocery store and they must have just gotten in a new shipment of plants. They had a hanging basket of the variegated Bonnie so I grabbed it. They had jades, and all kinds of other plants. Sometimes they even get sort of new stuff.
    I hid the spider plant in the basement. I have reached a new level of shame. LOL

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Lol...talk about deception!! I just keep mine out in the car until DH gets in the shower. Then the plants are quietly placed in one of the kid's old bedrooms. Thank goodness kids are grown and gone (said in a nice way).
    DH will see a plant that I think he hasn't seen before and ask me where I got it, I just say, "Oh that one, I've had it awhile."

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

I feel like I'm part of the family! Where have you all been all these years? I have to put mine in the yard and then park my car in the garage. Then, I slowly shimmy down the deck stairs to bring it up that way and hope he doesn't recognize them in my plant room.

Then, after a week, I can truthfully say it's not a "new plant."

What is this two-tone plant?

• val1
    10 years ago

I used to use the same ploy as Enterotoxigenic in the early years of our marriage. I would hide the stuff under the bed (not plants) for a while, bring it out and use the same line. Now after 25 years of marriage, he just rolls his eyes and I remind him it is cheap therapy. The winter is when I buy most of my houseplants. If I left them in the car they would be plantcicles. We had a high of 16 degrees today.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Kenesha-- I got it off eBay! We'll see how that goes. By two-tone do you mean the yellow-pink? That was Mike who has that in the supposed to be yellow thread. LOL at a new low of hiding a plant in the basement!

Karen and Hong LOL at how we all totally do that... trying to hide it long enough to say something isn't new truthfully. or saying "I've had that" and meaning "i've had that since I got it 10 minutes ago." :P

Val-- yes, after a while they catch on. I was laughing at this and he asked what I was laughing at. I told him it was about other people who try to hide new plant purchases. he was like "Oh, like you do?" Not as sneaky as I think :P But truthfully, i rarely actually buy something. It's more like trades, and I try to sell something to cover my costs. He doesn't like the idea of getting more though. He feels like indoor plants are inherently dirty (think Adrian Monk kind of personality and you've got it) and that plants outside are great. Coupled with a move, he feels they are wastes of time, space, and totally all cluttery lol.

I sometimes hide them in my bag. I will then put them in the back room when he's in the shower and try to blend them in. Then a month or so later, I may move them to the right position :)

• MittenGirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julianna, the one I am thinking of has red new growth that changes to light green almost yellow. I have no idea what color flower it produces, as I think the draw of this plant is the color of the phylloclades.

I buy my house plants and tell my hubby how good they are for cleaning the air (which is true). I would have plants all over but my hubby is sort of a hermit. He was an only child and I think he must be shy? He has to have all the drapes closed at all times, doors and windows are always locked, and even in summer he would rather run the air conditioning than open a window. I am the opposite and it drives me crazy! So adequate lighting is an issue in my house. I am actually thinking of trying to put a grow light up in my basement which is wide open. But I have to read up and learn about it before I try anything. :)

And LOL at "I've had that" and meaning "i've had that since I got it 10 minutes ago."

I have 4 different Philo/Pothos (Pearls and Jade, Brasil, Neon, and Silver Satin), 4 Sansevierias, 3 different Schlums (Vila Velha, Aspen, and Samba), and now a variegated Spider Plant "Bonnie". I saw a variegated Spath I think called "Domino" that I want, but I have to figure out where to put it. :)

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Oh oh! Cristen aurea-- and Puglvr1 has that.

Funny how we match up with people with opposite expectations of the insides of our homes! I'm an only child, but I hate drapes and blinds. :) I don't like going places though. My husband loves drapes and blinds, but not pulled during the day. he also loves going out.

I wouldn't dare try to list all my plants at the moment. But I do only have 2 windows so that limits things. :)

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

One way that I've found more room for plants in our 'lil house is to hang them. DH gladly helps...I think he knows my 'sneaky' plan after 35 years I'm sure he's caught on. He just lets me think I'm being sneaky.
    Every year there seems to be more colors of CC/TC I need to have.
    The hunt continues.
    K

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I've hung some as well, and I have various glass shelves. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022