Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulzie32

Beaucarnea recurvata vs. B.guatemalensis

paulzie32
14 years ago

Many years ago, when I was in my early teens, I bought my first Ponytail palm at a church fund raiser. It was in a 4 inch pot and had VERY long curly leaves that made it well on to the table. My Neighbor had a larger one that was about 5 feet tall and ALSO had leaves that hung well on to the floor.

It died many years later after an early frost, but when the internet came about and I looked up ponytail palm, they all had shorter leaves. I've done a bit of searching and it seems there are several different species.

Unfortunately, the one that seems to be the most common and available at this time is the one with the shorter leaves. But both varieties appear in image searches of both, so I'm not the only one that confuses them.

I'm assuming the two varieties I'm talking about are B. recurvata and B. guatemalensis.

I'm guessing B. recurvata has the shorter leaves and B. guatemalensis the longer, but only because there's more corresponding images under the corresponding name.

I've also seen B. stricta and B. gracilis, but those do not look similar to either and both appear to have even shorter leaves.

Any one know much about these two plants? Can anyone shed any light on these plants?

Comments (12)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

I admit that I have never seen B. guatemalensis, but I have noticed that, within limits, the less light a B. recurvata gets, the longer and curlier its leaves get.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I've no idea. Interesting on the leaves getting longer when it gets less light. Some of mine have really curly leaves and others have straighter leaves, but they are all long. The big one in the ground has leaves about 4' long.
    Tally HO!

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

These guys are so hot , I love them ! I have about five species . Local business here has a " Thin leaf " B. gautemalenis . Very sexy DEEP red thin leaves that for whatever reason , their cat uses as dental floss !! It's the funniest sight . ALthough it's not a very large plant ( in a 8 inch container ) I'll probably purchase it just to have it part of the collection . Planting these guys on their sides in a bonsai pot makes a very nice piece and usually wins alot of ribbons .

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Kids be careful where you plant it. They can become huge, mine measures, about 16-17 feet round, About 15 tall with interesting skin, epidermis the lizards like to hid in. If they get a ding, on the bottom caudex it will be there for life, mine has very long narrow leaves that hang down, it is a male plant the flowers are white. This plant appeard in a Gallo Wine TV commercial years ago. Norma

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

My bay area B.recurvata is a more sedate 9'tall with a 3+ wide caudex,multiple branches with a sort of Beatle mop top look. I planted it in 1992.
    I wouldnt consider them very drought tolerant if you want decent looks. In full sun,they could grow in even a heavily watered lawn or jungle garden. They look Yucca like..but Yuccas here can and do thrive with no summer water.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, how about a picture Norma? :-)

And Bamboo Turtles, I'd love to see your 5 as well.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Norma, one of mine in the ground for about a year now bloomed this summer! I couldn't figure out what was blooming back there. The flower spike lasted over a month. It was pretty cool. No seeds however.

My biggest has a base about 3-4' wide, stands about 10' tall and is in a pot the same size as the base. It will eventually get planted in the garden. Lowe's had them this year for $6.98 and I bought 5 or 6 (eek! I think I bought 8!) and planted all but 3 in the garden so far. I'm fairly sure I have at least 3 species as there are such differences in leaves and growth. The biggest has one top, one of the new ones has about 10 tops, 2 have 2 tops, the bloomer has 1 top, the one on the deck I've owned over 30 years and it has multiple tops from being broken off. Now, I have to find one with the cool red leaves b.guatemalenis....

My Great Uncle and his buddy wrote a book years and years ago called the Lost Missions of Baja. They drove jeeps throught the Baja penninsula tracing the old Spanish missions. One of the pics in the book is them standing under a huge plant, it looks like a palm tree and the base is around 8 or 9' wide.

Tally Ho!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

DL,

An overwhelmingly awesome Beaucarnea compendium - thanks for posting. Is one of the places pictured the Huntington?

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I've been looking for that variegated one for years! Nice, very nice. Almost makes me wanna move to an arid climate. Thanks for all the pics.
    Tally HO!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

HD has the B.guatamalensis for sale $22. "Long Neck" it said as a cultivar and at least a stout 24" plant. So,if you always wanted one...the Hayward HD had it..meaning you could order one at any in California.

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Off to HD tomorrow!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks