Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

It's Thanksgiving Cactus time! Are yours budding in time?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

How are your T.C's doing? What colors do you have?
Can you share what you have with us in time for Thanksgiving?

All of them are potted in a mix that consists of Fir Bark, Perlite and Pumice...

Please, bring them on!

This one is a variegated rooted cutting...

{{gwi:723297}}

These are Yellow, Deep Orange, White, Aspen, Doubled bloom, and a rare one I can't name until it blooms..

{{gwi:723299}}

{{gwi:723301}}

These ones are special ones! Believe it or not, but I started this these out as 6..3segment cuttings in each pot from a friend of mine that passed away this past spring and they grew out of control with constant fertilizing!

{{gwi:723303}}

{{gwi:723305}}

{{gwi:723306}}

{{gwi:723308}}

All these next ones are cuttings I started a couple of months ago...So far so good!

{{gwi:723310}}

{{gwi:723312}}

{{gwi:723314}}

{{gwi:723317}}

{{gwi:723319}}

{{gwi:723322}}

Comments (85)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Um...I don't even know where to begin on the colors recently posted!

I am loving the Yellow and unique Orang Red colors! Wow!
    Just in time for the Hoilday's I would say...Amazing!
    I have 3 YELLOW plants and all have are not even close to yellow this time around. More of a peachy color:-(..I guess I should of provided more heat than I did recently..Shucks!

Yay for all of you just getting the flowers to open and for making them get to this point..I remember a time I couldn't even get one plant to flower let alone hold on to their bud when I bought them

Nancy!!!!
    You see??
    Now, imagine if your weather turned cold like ours...?
    You would get your jades to color up, but forget such a dramatic Yellow on yours for they only look like that if kepted very warm..Terrific and what a great shot!!!

Greendale..Picture perfect, justy like what I would see in a magazine..Beautiful!

Very NICE TC Laura, SenJen, and Purple!! Love the animation too, very cool!! Just as Nancy say's..I am 100 percent taken back by all these colors too..How come we never see them look like this in a store?
    It is always the usual colors we see that we pass up..lol

Paul..Thanks pal..

Purple..Too funny! Thanks...

It's a very DARK and gloomy day today here..Should be great for setting buds, and that is about it..Well for, for watching a good movie or football too...

Great work everyone.

Mike

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    10 years ago

Two weeks early

Richard

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Hey pug
    not really sure what color it came with no tag a few years ago it is a light yellow with green tint while having a pink color on the bottom of the flowers hard to explain or see in the pic ill try to take a better pic. if you would like a peice I would love to share email me if you are interested

@ mike is there a way to contact you I tried emailong you but not sure if I have the right email thanks

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Hey pug
    not really sure what color it came with no tag a few years ago it is a light yellow with green tint while having a pink color on the bottom of the flowers hard to explain or see in the pic ill try to take a better pic. if you would like a peice I would love to share email me if you are interested

@ mike is there a way to contact you I tried emailong you but not sure if I have the right email thanks

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Gosh we should have a TC/CC exchange! Now would be a great time :) When mine bloom (they are budded) I'll be sure to post in here. I have a red, and then some new mystery ones. I also have a new x Buckleyi "Apricot" that I would love to trade for something like Mme Andrea, Golden dragon, or Samba Brazil :)

• notascrename
    10 years ago

This one's a couple weeks early but I thought I'd post it, Jim

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, WOW!

Flowers look great everyone! These are some nice plants!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Amazing!! Everyone's TC's are just so beautiful...Thanks so much for sharing your pictures!

Hey Mike, too bad getting a true yellow is the only good thing about the warm Fall weather here,lol...

WW, thank you for your generous offer, I'm not very good at rooting TC's so I'll have to find a plant around here that's already rooted,lol...Thanks for the offer though!

Keep the pictures coming everyone!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Oh, yes, keep the pics coming!
    I haven't checked in for a few days, and I love all the variety in color I see here. The textures of the flowers, too.

Josh

• MittenGirl
    10 years ago

Can I ask a favor? I'm a newbie to Schlums and I see so many on here that are gorgeous. Can you guys post the names of your Schlums with your pictures?

I LOVE the red and white ones that have both been posted. :)

Thanks!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm stupid in that department...

For some reason I seem to loose all the labels on mine then have to ask to name them..Some are rather uncommon and you'd think I would know the names..Dumb slap!!!

Mike

• val1
    10 years ago

I bought this one last year on clearance and thought it was white because of the dried blooms. However, it surprised me with this beautiful white edged in hot pink. I love it!

And since I still wanted a white one, I bought this little one at Walmart for $2.92.

{{gwi:112000}}

I have two more Thanksgiving Cactus that are budding. The most surprising thing is that my Christmas Cactus has blooms that are just opening.

• MittenGirl
    10 years ago

Oh my Val1!! That pink edged one is gorgeous and I have been looking for one like it. I wish you knew the name. The white one is pretty as well.

• val1
    10 years ago

MittenGirl - I will have cuttings of the pink edged one in the spring. If you remind me I can send you a couple. I wish I had the name too. It was purchased at Walmart last year.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

This is my lone orange from Walmart in the pot of white :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Man, these are more fun than a box of puppies! This is cheery on a day like this. Be glad 'outside' is out of focus, blurred by condensation!

10 years ago

Well I think it's cool. Do you think somebody at the 'factory' thought that would be a fun prank - or some kind of temp thing?

Look at this weird itty bitty plant!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

LOL they are more fun than a box of puppies! So with mine, I think they felt they needed more cuttings to round out the plant and just grabbed some, not caring about the difference lol. Or maybe things got mixed accidentally :)

That one is cool! It would be neat to see if it stayed that way or what.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

OK! this is my first bloom that counts... since it budded and bloomed at home :) Purple, this is the one I sent you.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Another shot.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

My tiny buds from a month ago did indeed open in time for Thanksgiving! Yea!

10 years ago

"my first bloom that counts... since it budded and bloomed at home" I felt the same way about the 2 plants I just bought vs. the ones I've had, waiting, watching, for so long.

Looking forward to seeing some that beautiful deep raspberry color, thanks again for that!!

These pics are all so awesome!

J, your pic at (Dec 2, 13 at 15:23) looks like you were laying on the floor when you took it. Don't bother to deny, anyone else would do the same if it was the best shot. LOL!!

TC's are self-sterile. This, of course, was the most interesting report on that.) So this snippet from Wiki is interesting:
    "The flowers of Schlumbergera have adaptations for pollination by hummingbirds: tubular flowers with abundant nectar, and colours towards the red end of the spectrum. Most species require cross-pollination to set seed. The exceptions are S. kautskyi and S. microsphaerica; as noted above, the latter is found at higher altitudes where humming birds may be absent or less common."

No kiddin'!? Fascinating! This is another plant to add to my hummingbird list (#106!,) and I should make the effort to put these outside during the daytime.

10 years ago

Here's one outside getting a drink this morning.

10 years ago

The red & pink mixed pot is going nuts, this is cool!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Nice!

LOL I was crouched on the floor. The shelf is like 3ft tall :)

10 years ago

"I was crouched on the floor." Whatever it takes, right? LOL!

This red one has white in the middle.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Val and Tom!! Yours are as close as to white as I would love....I wonder if yours are true white despite cooler temps?

Beautiful Tom, sorry I am just noticing yours...I love it.

Juliana.....Way to funny..lol I know what you mean/

Purple..Beautiful!

Crenda...Congrats...I hear ya in all the excitement..lol Gotta love it.

MIke

• val1
    10 years ago

Mike - Last year all of the whites at the Walmart near me had a touch of pink. My house is always above 70 degrees so I will not be able to find out how it behaves in colder temps. I called the grower and he said the variety name was "Sicily" and that they were from Vietnam. The others he named were in the Thor new generation series, but when I asked he said it was not Livia and said Sicily again. I cannot find any information about this variety on the web. If it grows well, I will try to send you some cuttings in the spring/summer so you can test it out.

10 years ago

All the way open today. Reminds me of a candy cane.

10 years ago

So far, this one is a peachy color (more than this pic which came out more reddish) with white in the middle. Will see more tomorrow.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

That bottom one may be a kind of orange one?

10 years ago

Yes, it's peachy. Fully open today, on a cutting from trade with less than 10 leaves (so far.) Little bitty pretty one.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Beautiful everyone!! Enjoyed looking at all the pretty blooms...

Here's one to add to the mix...

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Here's my one and only!

10 years ago

Potted with Columnea. I found an inchworm eating one of the buds a few minutes ago. Back outside that went!

10 years ago

Stars of the show in this window!

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Nice pics everyone! .D

I have a schlum cutting... That hasn't done anything in months. It's rooted and all, but its floppy and doesnt look very happy and certainly hasn't grown any. I suspect it just doesn't like my climate. I'm letting it fend for itself for the most part.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Here is my schlum. Supposed to flower orange. Doesn't look as bad as I thought but not doing much.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of you not only have the prettiest and some quite rare looking blooms, but nice camera's to capture the beauty to boot!

Beautiful everyone...And the flowers just keep on coming..As some of mine have past bloom, some continue to come into bloom...The fun part of winter other than skiing...

Good luck with your orange one Sundew..

Val, you are so kind..Thank you:-)

Purple. still amazing!!

Nancy, you have every one I want too..lol

{{gwi:723379}}

{{gwi:115665}}

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Just lovely Mike!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful Mike!!

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Hello! I am new here, but I also love these lovelies. In Latvian shops unfortunately we don't have labelled Schlums. They are sold as "Christmas cactus" and the shop assistant looks at you weird if you call it "Thanksgiving cactus". I guess it's because we don't celebrate Thanksgiving and not everyone has given a thought about schlums. Today I asked if they know names for schlums they are selling. The answer was no, there isn't any label to see where it has come from so my cacti are NOID, but I have tried to ID some by looking at photos. Today I think I bought "Samba Brazil" *squeals*, I will post photos tomorrow. Today I want to post photos of two I have no idea what they are called.
    Since files were huge I put links.
    Perhaps you could play ID for me please? Maybe there is someone who can ID them just looking at photos *looking around hopefully*

Yellow one:
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0001.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0002.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0003.jpg.html

Orange:
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0004.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0005.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0006.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0007.jpg.html
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brunhilde100/media/Schlumbergera/DSC_0008.jpg.html

This post was edited by Lii-sama on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:01

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Hi Lii-sama! You have a really nice collection! That one does look like Samba, or it could be Frances Rolleson-- I know they sell that in Europe too and it los identical, but is smaller and much easier to propagate (wish we had it!). I am not sure on the others. )

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Julianna, thank you for the compliment. It's just a small part of the whole collection because few are blooming for the second time and this year I got 4 new ones (They jumped in my arms and one was a gift lol).

About Frances Rollason you are right, I found the site they were selling it (EUR 12.00, since I bought mine somewhat cheaply if compared with this price then I wouldn't mind it being Frances Rollason lol) and yes, it looks just like Samba Brazil so I have no way of knowing which one I have unfortunately. Also looking at all those photos of many different types some looks just too similar to be very sure that's the one I have. I hope that this year I might order few from Netherlands with names labelled. Of course there stays the chance they misplaces the label.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I think all of us know about those ones that just jump into your arms! Weird how they just keep doing that :) Yeah, I think there are some good sources in the Netherlands and the UK from what I understood :)

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Julianna, previous year 8 jumped in my arms lol 5 of them were after they bloomed and I was more curious to see what colour they would be. Yes, I found one place in UK and another in Netherlands. Netherlands sell Easter cacti as well.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Did everyone - or anyone - get a second bloom on their TC? This is a first for me, but this pot is looking good this morning.

• averil
    10 years ago

I'm sat here on a gloomy, rainy day in Uk and I have so enjoyed looking at all the beautiful plants on this thread. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your pics folks. Cheers me up
    Averil

• succulentlife
    10 years ago

Yep, we had some cold nights in FL few weeks ago and here is the result ( 2 nd time around!):

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Your plant is gorgeous, Nik23!

Well, shucks! No wonder this is a first for me. I've never had the plants outside to experience the weather changes before. They would have frozen. (I also never had them last very long, but that's another story . . .)

I really should have thought of that. Thanks for waking me up!