Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spencerdt_gw

Dwarf Jade

SpencerDT
9 years ago

First post here, just want to thank this forum for the gritty mix formula. Slowly moving plants over to this mix and seems great so far. Sharing an image of a dwarf jade that I picked up recently. Don't see them this big locally too often and I couldn't resist. I moved some smaller ones that were around it into other pots so it is a bit off centered. I filled the holes with gritty mix for now and will fully move this to a new pot come spring/summer. Enjoying all the info on the forum. I have been a fan of houseplants since I took a houseplants class in college and worked in the greenhouse on campus about 15 years ago.

This post was edited by SpencerDT on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 21:58

Comments (30)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

That's no P. afra, that's Crassula ovata all right - I can't tell if it's a 'Crosby's Compact', but I think not. It's a really nicely shaped and healthy plant.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

A very fine specimen, indeed.
    Lots of work went into achieving that form!

Josh

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. The owner of the greenhouse assured me it wasn't a standard Jade and stated it was a dwarf variety. I have owned lots of Jades but not Port. afra so that was just my guess. There was nothing to indicate the variety on the pot. The leaves are definitely very compact and small and it is not a standard variety. I am really happy to hear it is a Crassula because I enjoy how easy the care is on them and I am have owned them most of my life.

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have always wanted one this size and have never been able to grow one this big in Michigan. It takes two hands to put my hand around the trunk. This is pretty much my dream houseplant and so I want to take the best care of it possible. It is in a large window that faces south and there is another west facing window about 4 feet away so it should get a lot of light in the summer. Sunshine in the winter months is a rarity in Michigan so I think it will naturally get acclimated to this new spot by the time the sun comes out again. I was a little nervous pulling out the surrounding plants this time of year. Some of them were attached below grade to the main plant. I cut them cleanly off, left the hole open to dry and allow callousing, misted with water afterward, coated with a thick coat of rooting hormone, and filled the holes with gritty mix so it could breathe. Hope it does well.

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cleaning up around this specimen I ended up with several nice small cuttings that are nice and upright and are sitting out in my kitchen waiting on pots. I don't know if this is a unique variety but is definitely unlike any Jades I have seen. If there is interest in a trade for other unique Jade varieties please let me know. Some more colorful varieties are on my wish list.

• hookilau
    9 years ago

whoa.
    She's dreamy allright =D

I'd have snapped that up too if I came across it.
    Lucky you!

I've got one coming in the mail (a crosby's compact) and can't wait. It's nice to see how pretty a mature one can look like.

Good luck with it =)

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on this jade. Just repotted into a gritty mix. I will let you know how it goes. I know this isn't the ideal time of year to do this but I couldn't resist. There was a fair amount of roots but you could definitely tell there was significant perched water in the old pot. I look forward to a strong rebound come summer.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Very nice pot!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Very nice, thick trunk and healthy-looking leaves. Hope it doesn't have any rot from previous potting mix.
    Did you have to trim any roots (damaged, rotten) off?

Just one small remark to your previous comment coated with a thick coat of rooting hormone - there is no need for a thick coat of hormone powder, more is not always better. Slight dusting should be enough (I think we all did that at time, trying to get plant to grow fast).

Rina

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Spencer,

If you can give it light and warmth, and some water and diluted fertilizer periodically, you'll see recognizable growth before the New Year.

Rina,

I've never overdone anything related to our passion. Never.

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all,

I don't have any artificial lighting but it does get as much light as possible in Michigan in the winter. Are there any suggestions for ways to provide some additional light and warmth without breaking the bank? I could clip a light on to the shelving fairly easily. It is on one of those rolling wire racks. Thanks for the compliment on the pot, it isn't ideal because it doesn't breathe as it is zinc or more likely galvanized steel with some sort of zinc based coating. I like the look of it and think there should be more than enough air with gritty mix and the 6 holes I drilled in the bottom of the pot. The rooting hormone comment is appreciated too. I didn't put too much, just a liberal amount on the wound where I broke off a plant that was attached below grade. I kept all the roots that remained once I washed of and picked away at the root ball with the peat based soil. I obviously lost many roots in the process because it was a tangled web of soil and roots and simple soaking didn't help too much. The roots seem in good shape and I didn't see any indication of rot which was good news. I believe it was long overdue for new soil/mix.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Congrats on finding such a great looking plant, it's lovely! Definitely not a Port Afra as already mentioned above, but whatever it is...I like it! The shape is good and it's leaves are a super colour. It's different from my own Crosby's Compacts and ones I have seen elsewhere as they have more reddish tones in their leaves, especially on the undersides. The cuttings should root easily for you and as they are stem and not leaves you will be rooting, they should stay true to form.

Gill UK

• SpencerDT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, it is doing well so far post transplant. I am really looking forward to future growth this coming summer. I don't have a nice outdoor area at my home currently that I spend any time in. I know it would be best to move it outside in the summer months. I am trying to figure out how to do this where I can still enjoy it and keep an eye on it.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

GC - just a note - starting new plants by either leaf or stem cuttings (asexual propagation) would produce exact genetic clones of the parent material unless the propagule was acted upon by a mutagen (like a virus, chemical mutagen, some form of radiation ....).

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

If you need extra light, CFL bulbs would work well (100w, min. 4000k or more) or fluorescent lights, whatever you can fit in. I have both ('inherited' some shop light fixtures-they are old, but were free...and still work). Brand new fluorescent fixture may be more expensive. CFL bulbs could be used in table lights, clip-on lights or suspended.

Rina

• Spencer DT
    9 years ago

Jade is doing well, any pruning suggestions?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Very nice!
    I would go around the canopy and pinch off the new growth tips that are taller/longer than the others.

Josh

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

That is a dandy of a jade. It's got the perfect tree shaped form that I seek in most of my jades. I fact, I don't think I've ever seen one for sale that was that nice. Most places just let them grow, or don't have too many larger plants to offer, as they aren't too common up here in WI. I have literally every single variety that I've found for sale around here, which totals out at 10. They were only available as small cuttings, but are slowly reaching miniature tree status. Congrats on the treasure you found.

Joe

9 years ago

I didn't buy it - it was grown from a cutting.

This is a cutting from the one above - just getting started as a slanted semi-cascade.

Al

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I was referring to Spencer's jade he purchased. I know you (Al) enough to know you grew all of the fine specimens you show us pictures of. I can only dream of having such nice plants. I have a few works in progress, but it's definitely a hobby that requires patience, and it also involves a wife who doesn't want any more jades in front of the dining room windows in winter.

Joe

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Spencer
    Your tree looks good after dark winter; how are other - separated plants & clippings doing?

Al
    Could I borrow your photo - the last one (slanted semi-cascade)? I want to post it next to one of my plants...
    Rina

9 years ago

Sure, Rina, but it's just a raw start ..........

Spencer - on the left is how jades and mini jades grow if left to their own devices. On the right is how their branch structure can best be ramified. Notice there are no trifurcations on the right.

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Al, I used it to show what I would like couple of my jades to look like...this thread:
    the 'slanted' jade...

Rina

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

What are trifurcations, please?

• Spencer DT
    9 years ago

Al explained it well above. Branches that split three ways at one node. I had a few quadfurcations if such a word exists.

9 years ago

M - bifurcatiuons and trifurcations are a words used to describe how tree branches, deer/elk/caribou .... antlers, arteries, .... divide. In the picture above, on the left, every branch divides into 3 branches (trifurcations). The main branch runs through and a pair of opposite nodes produce branches off the main branch, so you have a fat main branch in the middle and alternating pairs of secondary branches growing off the main branch, each at 90* to the previous pair. This produces all trifurcations and is the natural growth habit. Eliminating 1 branch from every trifurcation changes the trifurcations to bifurcations - makes it much easier to manage your trees and keep them looking natural. If you look at trees in nature, they have fine, twiggy branching near the top, not heavy logs. Eliminating trifurcations helps (a LOT) to keep branching finer instead of heavy. Plus, it's healthier for trees in pots because it lets more light and air into the trees interior, which promotes back-budding and new branches you can prune back to to maintain the airier appearance. For growers trying for the 'bonsai look', you might as well employ some of the techniques that will allow you to achieve that goal. ;-)

A slingshot is a bifurcation. If the handle of the slingshot ran through and produced a 3rd branch in the middle of the 'Y', it would be a trifurcation.

Al

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Ah, I get it now, thanks Al, and to Spencer.

9 years ago

This topic will come up again and again (often on the maple and bonsai forums), so I figured I might as well try to make it as clear as possible. I hope the added sketches makes things clearer ......

Al

• breathnez
    9 years ago

Hey Spencer, nice jade! You'll get all the pruning suggestions necessary, so I'd like to mention something else. If I had a dream plant, as you mention that is, I would (considering how top heavy they can be) plant it into something a little less likely to tip- a wider based pot. I'd hate to see wind or dog or hose etc bring it down and have a branch break. Well thought design, and obviously cared for with skill.