Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Another ID, please!

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

This lovely grows in a large pot at my folks' place in San Diego County. In the spring it puts out lovely little bright fuscha blooms. When I did a Google image search, I came up with some hits for various Delospermas; but none of the leaves looked quite right. Anyone have any thoughts?

Oh, Mystery!

Thanks much!

*CG*

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

CG,

I think that's a Lampranthus, but I don't know the species. It's a sprawling mess of a Mesembryanthemum (mesemb), and its flowers, many times an almost metallic purple, are attractive.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never heard the flowers described as a "metallic" purple, but yes, that certainly does seem to fit.

And it's funny, I was just thinking that the flowers remind me of a hottentot fig - and then I looked up Lampranthus, only to find that the hottentot fig IS one!

Thanks, Cactus. My hero, once again. :)

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I correct, I correct - hottentot is in the family Aizoaceae, which is the same as the Lampranthus. But it's not the same genus.

Still, close enough for gov't work, right?

*CG*

12 years ago

*CG*,

Your hero respectfully disagrees - the Hottentot fig epithet can apply to a bunch of different Mesembs, because the seed capsule of these look like a little fig. Lampranthus is a genus within the Aizoaceae, one of many that have this hot and taut feature. But you knew this already.

And the flower colour changes as they age - another cool feature of this Family and its cast of thousands.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhh. I see.

We have all kinds of hottentot out in San Diego. Used primarily for erosion control, and also (erroneously) in "fire-wise" landscaping. While it can certainly be pretty, in all its myriad forms, it's a helluvan invasive, and really more of a fire spreader than a fire barrier. (The undergrowth gets all dry and woody, and is just kindling waiting to burn.)

What I always recognized as "hottentot fig," though, is the thick-leaved stuff with the big flowers, like these:

I knew nothing about family, genus or species until this evening.

As always, I appreciate your clarifications. :)

*CG*

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

We call those "sea figs" and "ice plants" commonly.

I agree, they make a beautiful blooming carpet....but the woody stems are hell on one's feet!
    Terrifically invasive, and they have the notorious habit of not quite growing where one wants
    them to grow.

Josh

12 years ago

And, IIRC, San Diego County finally discovered that it isn't true they're the most useful plant for erosion control. You California folk will soon be tasked with Mesemb removal from the hundreds of thousands of acres it's taken over. It could be a new version of the Civilian Conservation Corp.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Yep, I've seen it hastily migrate from the dunes it was intended to hold fast...
    right down the slope to the roadside.

Josh

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, what human folly, that we think we know better than Mother Nature how to "manage" the land...

I look forward gladly to the ice plant removal. I'll even get out there and help, if I can. But if it's to be replaced, it needs to be replaced with something native and non-invasive.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

And to think I paid good money for them. One man's weeds is another man's treasured plants. Who knew.
    Stush