Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Winter aloe colors & BUDS forming!!!!

Yes every year this proud aloe mom gets to show off her stressed and winter glorious aloe colors and yes they are the same aloes as last yearAloe arborescens

Aloe capitata

Aloe cameroni (front) & Aloe 'Fire Ranch' (back)

I was out admiring their beauty and I saw what looked like a bug to my old non focussing eyes, but no, they were buds just starting to form. OMG!! The buds are on the Aloe Cameroni and A. capitata. I have been waiting for years for them to bloom. I am so excited about this. This summer I started to add a low nitrogen fertilizer at 1/4 strength in almost every watering. I think it is what made the difference or it was just time.

Aloe capitata bud

Aloe cameroni buds

It is interesting that the rosette of the cameroni on the shade side is still so summer green and the eastern sun side one has turned so maroon.

Now I want to ask those knowledgable people who have experience with growing blooming aloes. I have heard that if one moves them when the bud is forming that the plant runs the danger of aborting the bloom. Is this true or just another slice of plant superstition?? I have never had problems but these are really special to me. I do not want to loose these. I have at least a week and a half of warm weather ahead of us. Nights are projected for in the 50's and highs in the upper 70's and 80's. (Swimming on thanksgiving), but a freeze is not impossible. 2 years ago we had a 23 degree cold snap on the 24th of November. I will move the plants if that happens.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor