Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter aloe colors & BUDS forming!!!!

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 22:29

Yes every year this proud aloe mom gets to show off her stressed and winter glorious aloe colors and yes they are the same aloes as last year< maybe a little larger. There are more but maybe later I will get others, but these are my stars today.

Aloe arborescens
Aloe arborescens

Aloe capitata

Aloe capitata

Aloe cameroni (front) & Aloe 'Fire Ranch' (back)

Aloe cameroni  & A.

I was out admiring their beauty and I saw what looked like a bug to my old non focussing eyes, but no, they were buds just starting to form. OMG!! The buds are on the Aloe Cameroni and A. capitata. I have been waiting for years for them to bloom. I am so excited about this. This summer I started to add a low nitrogen fertilizer at 1/4 strength in almost every watering. I think it is what made the difference or it was just time.

Aloe capitata bud

First bud on A. capitata

Aloe cameroni buds

First bud on A. cameroni

First bud on A. cameroni

It is interesting that the rosette of the cameroni on the shade side is still so summer green and the eastern sun side one has turned so maroon.

Now I want to ask those knowledgable people who have experience with growing blooming aloes. I have heard that if one moves them when the bud is forming that the plant runs the danger of aborting the bloom. Is this true or just another slice of plant superstition?? I have never had problems but these are really special to me. I do not want to loose these. I have at least a week and a half of warm weather ahead of us. Nights are projected for in the 50's and highs in the upper 70's and 80's. (Swimming on thanksgiving), but a freeze is not impossible. 2 years ago we had a 23 degree cold snap on the 24th of November. I will move the plants if that happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter aloe colors & BUDS forming!!!!

Ive never had a problem moving blooming aloes, though im not the most knowledgeable, ive only bloomed a handful of different types.

Once I learned about flower cuttings to propagate, well, theres less mature flowers around...

o

I have a few aloe flowers, too, already
Aloe albiflora

o

Aloe deltoideodonta var fallax

o

Aloe fosteri

o

Aloe pendens (though this one blooms nearly every month of the year)

o

Aloe turkaensis

o

Aloe vacillans

o

Aloe veseyi

o

Thanks for a peak at the A. deltoideodonta var fallax blossom. What a pretty bloom. That is another one that I have been waiting years for it to bloom. My normal A deltoideodonta has bloomed two years now. I will check back in with the full blooms later. YEEEeeHA (

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here