Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Who has Winter Growing Plants they would like to share?

jojosplants
11 years ago

Hi All...

My Birthday is not far off and mom is asking me what I would like. I'm thinking maybe a new plant. :-)

I would love to see some winter growing plants and get some ideas.

JoJo

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Jojo,

Small plants that grow in winter - Albuca spiralis and Albuca acuminata, both available from your local Agave vendor.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff!
    Thank you! I forgot to mention, I was hoping it would be something I could pick up local, just so mom and I could spend a day shopping. ;-) I know like girls need an excuse..right..lol...

We have a huge place here called B & B cactus nursery, and Mesquite Valley Growers, besides Arid Lands, that are easy for me to drive too.

JoJo

11 years ago

I mean Starr Nursery, where you can also get a pretty nice Agave ovatifolia, among others.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! I forget about that one. It's in a corner of Tucson, that I am afraid to drive to. :-( I will look it up on the maps and see if maybe there are some back roads to get there.

ROFL!! Your funny! :-) my yard isn't big enough for one of them! Ummm.. got something smaller in mind? ;-)

JoJo

11 years ago

JoJo,

He does have your own Agave applanata 'Cream Spike', which stays diminutive for many years (and will stay small if you confine it to a small pot). He's got lots of others, too, like Agave 'Kissho Kan' and 'Kichijo Kan'.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff,
    I was looking at both the 'Kissho Kan' and 'Kichijo Kan' both are beautiful!
    I also liked the Agave bracteosa.
    I think you've talked me into one, I just need to decide which one! lol..
    I would like another to keep my 'Agave guiengola', company.

Now to figure out how to get to Starr Nursery. ;-)

Thanks!
    JoJo

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

A couple smaller winter plants that might be worth a peek

Mestoclemma Arborforme A small trunk and with a very small orange flower Zone being different IMO a neat, somewhat slower growing but zone differences indicate you may get better trunk shape faster than I can. If not at Arid Lands I dunt nooo.

Adromischus. Not sure if you can 100% but I think you can find some of them at Arid Lands if not then Mesa. These are VERY very slow growers that kicks off new growth this time of year. Your flowering might be sooner I usually get tiny trumpet shaped flowers on tall thin stems early summer.

11 years ago

JoJo,

You'll quite like Greg, an eminently likable fellow.

mr2,

I have what I think is an Adromischus - it's never flowered, maybe because it's rootbound. I should repot it now so I can have flowers (and an ID) later.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Charris: Cant wait to see the suspected Adro but thinking Rose would be of help ID if it's not.

I'm told you also have Thanksgiving in Canada too If I missed it,... Ohh well.... If not Have a Safe Happy Thanksgiving

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O.K. It's official! You Gentleman are both enablers! lol!
    I love all the suggestions. :-) so it's looking like I will probably get two plants for my Birthday. ;-)
    Thanks for the great suggestions.

I want to wish you both a Happy Thanksgiving!

I looked at my calender and it seems Canada celebrates on Oct. 8 th. so a happy late Thanksgiving to you Jeff, and A wish for tomorrow too. :-)

JoJo

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

what fun it would be to be able to visit all those places in person!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21