Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wavy Jades

Posted by kaktuskris 6 NH (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 22:43

Here are two wavy jades. Obvious differences, yet both wavy...Any ideas as to cultivars for these?

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wavy Jades

I'm sure someone more experienced can help you with your question. I was wondering if you can root the wavy jades from leaves or do you need a cutting?

o

Interesting & cool-looking plants. Without knowing they're supposed to look like that, I would think there's something wrong with them. Sorry, this isn't a bit helpful.

o

Hey, Christopher!
I assume that the Jade on the left is Crassula ovata cv undulata - poking around online
I see names such as 'Blue Bird,' 'Whirly Bird,' 'Whirlybird,' and 'Ripple Jade' by some sellers.

The Jade on the right is more curious. Does it always look like that? The leaves look
curled under at the tip, not necessarily wavy to my eye. Are the leaves firm, well-watered?

Cool plants :-)

Josh

o

LauraR:

You can root any type of jade from a leaf, to my knowledge...

Josh:

I was sort of thinking 'Bluebird' for the one on the left as well, thanks for the confirmation.

The plant on the left is a from a cutting, given to me by a long time GW member from California some time ago, whom I haven't seen on the forums for a while, she called it 'Waves.' The leaves do have a wave, though hard to see in the photo, and always curl at the tip, and the leaves are fatter than the 'Bluebird,' more like the common jade in colour also...

Christopher

o

Here is a better view of the jade on the right...

Christopher

o

I was meaning does it grow true from a leaf? I know that a variegated jade reverts back to a plain jade when rooted from a leaf and stays a variegated jade when rooted from a cutting.

o

Laura,
it is *possible* for a variegated leaf to retain the variegation of the parent plant -
but the tendency is, indeed, to revert.

Christopher,
Norma knows all about Crassula ovata 'Waves,' apparently. Have you been able to contact her?
If that's what she says it is, I'd assume she's correct.

Josh

o

Laura:

Good question, I have not tried with wavy jade, but tried with my 'Gollum' type, and the tiny plant did not revert.

Josh:

I was just wondering what the parentage of 'Waves' is compared to the 'Bluebird.' I haven't seen Norma on the forums for quite some time, by the way.

Christopher

o

That I couldn't tell ya, unfortunately.
Maybe Glen knows something about these varieties. I'll ask him, if he doesn't see this Thread first.

As for Norma, I see her on facebook fairly often.

Josh

o

"Unhealthy" wouldn't cross my mind looking at this new pic. What a cute plant!!!! What size pot is that?

o

Don't know if this is the same as has been discussed on this thread but this is one I picked up this past spring at a Big Box store for dirt cheap. So far it hasn't done much but grow. I was hoping for flowers and left it out in the cold and short days for some time but no flowers. Some names I've seen are C. ovata v. undulatifolia. I think "Ripple" is just this vendors take on the same thing.... a selling tactic to get us to purchase lots of the same thing listed differently.... maybe????

o

So the one bikerdoc posted looks like the plant on the left in my first photo. So is it arborescens or ovata? Maybe the one on the left is arborescens, and the one on the right is ovata?

Purple: 3 inch pot.

Christopher

o

Hi Christopher,
Very nice plants! The one on the left has unique color!
Confusing little buggers too! LOL!

I have one that has the same shape leaves as the one on the left, and it came from Arid lands. Also called 'arborescens', so I'm guessing that has something to do with the wavy leaf.
??
I have linked it below, it's the 3rd plant down.

Hope this helps :-)

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula arborescens undulatifolia

o

Hey, JoJo ;-)

Christopher, I think it's a hybrid of ovata and arborescens, if I recall correctly;
but I don't know what the final nomenclature should be.

Josh

o

Hi Josh!
Good to see you!

so am I right that 'arborescens' has something to do with 'wavy'?
Boy these little plants get confusing. lol..

o

JoJo, unfortunately no ;-)
Arborescens means 'tree-like' or growing up in a tree-like form. Think of Arbor Day,
or even Spanish 'arbol.'

Josh

o

See! Confusing little buggers! LOL!
So is 'ovata' in reference to the oval leaves, but bushy jade?

Thanks Josh~ :-)

JoJo

o

This may be helpful... then again maybe not. Crassula ovata, also known as C. argentea, C. portulaca and/or C. obliqua, is the jade many of us grow with the nice green leaves as pictured below. There are many cultivars or hybrids like 'Hummel's Sunset' etc. Then there is Crassula arborescens or "Silver Dollar Jade" because it has large "obovate to orbicular, 20-30(-40) mm broad, carnose, somewhat convex on both surfaces, red margins and red spots above, glaucous" blue-green leaves. There are two subspecies of this: C. arborescens ssp arborescens and C. arborescens ssp undulatifolia because it has more wavy leaves but still has the blue-green coloration and a different flowering time.

o

JoJo,
the Latin word 'ovate' means egg-shaped (ovum), so yes it does refer to the oval leaves.

Josh

o

Sorry Bikerdoc, nothing new to me, anyway, about ovata and aborescens, but I would mention that not too long ago, aborescens was more prevalent than ovata, (I have older books about succulents that mention arborescens but don't even mention ovata, or the older name, argentea) but now, at least in my corner of the world, aborescens is hard to find, but ovata, in many forms, is everywhere.

So until I get confirmation to the contrary, in my limited view, the plant on the left is hybrid of arborescens, while the one on the right is hybrid of ovata.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here