Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

Mesembs in Juvenescence

hanzrobo
12 years ago

Hey everyone! I haven't had much time to post in the forum lately but I've been keeping up. Rian's recent seedling posts have inspired me and it's Sunday, so I found time.

Here are some of the more interesting things happening in my greenhouse.

Aloinopsis orpenii

Aloinopsis setiferi

Cheiridopsis bruynsii

Conophytum christiansenianum

Jensenobotrya lossowiana

Glottiphyllum peersii

Lithops divergens v. amethystina

Mitrophyllum grande

Monilaria globosa

Titanopsis primosii

Mesembryanthemum crystallinum

Tanquana prismatica

Enjoy!

Comments (27)

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

And I certainly did!! It all looks so strangely familiar, even the soil! Monilaria globosa, Jensenobotrya to name a few are great and those are some of the ones I cannot yet get seeds for!! Love the rest as well, really looking good, Hanz!! Oh, have to mention Mitrophyllum, just got seed for one of the species, they are too cute with those fused heads.

Congrats! Great job!

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Have to add, when I just posted my reply, I found I was sitting with a big smile - its morning here, and I think its going to be a good day! Planning my next batch of seed already!

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

Love them! If you check in the other picture thread I posted my blog with pictures of my baby mesembs. I was going to wait to try any more because I am moving in 2 months but this post makes me very tempted to order some more seed!

My favorite so far are Frithia pulchra which I grew from seed because I couldn't find plants.

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Where can one find seeds for Lithops and such? I think I might like to try growing some from seed! Is it very difficult?

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Great pictures. They are so cute.
    Rian's photo's convinced me to also try seeds. I got a heat mat,seeds arrived ,going today to get a grow light . Hope they sprout and are as cute as these. If all condition's are right, how long from sow to sprout do you
    think? Thanks for sharing and good luck with them.
    Sharon

• noki
    12 years ago

Those are so cool!

What comes out of the ground first? Is it a pair of leaves that make those round "buttons"? Or are they totally succulent from the very start, swelling out of the seed? How long does it take for the second set of leaves to divide?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Please let us know the answers and also where can one buy seeds? l Iove the unusual, and these are unusual. You don't see these in any big box stores, or small nurseries.

• xerophyte NYC
    12 years ago

mesagarden.com

Mesembs are fun because seed are usually cheap, they sprout quickly, and you can fit hundreds into a small space. Getting them to survive past the cotyledon stage is a different matter and requires at least some know-how.

Here is some great reading about growing and germinating, courtesy of Steven Hammer. I posted this file to my NYU account some time ago and am happy to share:
    Art of Growing the Mesembs

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Its a movement!

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

I sowed mine into little 1 1/2 inch pots and put the pats in sealed zip lock baggies on a heat matt and most of them germinated in 2-6 days or so. Pretty fast. A lot of these are very rarely sold as plants except at Cacti and Succulent plant shows and even they don't usually have as wide a variety as you can find by seed. I think my first batch was from Mesa Garden and the second I know was from Silver Hill Seed in S. Africa.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks you guys! Sorry it took me all day to get back here.

Xero, thanks for helping. Your link was the exact same link I was going to share and I also got all my seed from Mesa Garden. I am very happy with them.

Rian, glad to hear I could bring you a smile. Just returning the favor.

For those of you with questions, I will share my short amount of experience.
    I'll start by saying that before you begin, read the words of Steven Hammer in the link suggested by X, above. I'll link it again below. You'll have plenty of time to memorize it because prime planting season for most (but not all!) Mesembs is around September. I planted most of mine in the first 2 weeks of Sep.
    All the plants pictured are on their 2nd set of leaves except the Conophytum and the Lithops. I have over 100 types of Lithops growing and around 70 different types of Conophytum and they're all still on their first set of leaves.
    Most Mesemb seeds start very easily, popping up in 1-2 weeks. When it comes time to start dividing them, I may be in for some trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art of Growing the Mesembs

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos of them just popping out! It's hard for me to envision what they are going to look like as they grow, so I look forward to more photos as they develop!

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Here is what I learned, when you buy pots for the seedling transplant and you think you have enough, double it...LOL! I keep running out of pots!

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pennyhal, I can only guess by my google results what they will look like. It took me 3 days of intense googling to compile my seed list.

Rian,, thanks for that tip. I will do that for sure. Any other insight on transplanting is more than welcome.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ladylotus, sorry to add to your obsession, I can't control myself either. ;)

Maybe someone else can chime in who has experience with Mesembs and near-freezing temps. I live near the coast where even a light frost is rare. Are you starting your seeds inside?

• xerophyte NYC
    12 years ago

Most mesembs very easily handle frosts, many get them regularly in habitat. That is also the time of year they get moisture so unlike some other succulents that are risky when you mix cold + wet, mesembs are at their best - provided the day is sunny and warm. I have enjoyed many a frosty Lithops flower in November and December.

Some, like Pleiospilos or Titanopsis, which are found further inland where there are temperature extremes, are safe down into the mid-20's F. The most vulnerable species are those that are coastal - ex, Lithops ruschiorum, Lithops optica, Fenestraria. Coastal Namibia is a more maritime climate and the natives may not be as frost-tolerant.

x

• noki
    12 years ago

You guys are good.

Ever try taking pics of the same plant(s) as they grow from the first week, to the second set of leaves, etc... to flower?

• paul_
    12 years ago

Such cute lil buggers!

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Hanz, thank you for stirring the obsession into high gear. I was just teasing. I am growing quite a few different varieties from seed. Due to your post I purchased quite a few more varieties.

X, That is wonderful information. Most of the day when the sun is out my greenhouse stays nice and warm. It just dips into the upper 30's lower 40's in the evening and during cloudy days. Thank you for the information. It seems they will do well in my greenhouse.

• reggie
    10 years ago

The way back machine has been started.

Wondering if you, Mr. Hanzrobo, can share what these beauties look like now. I know what some of them look like now but sure would be fun to compare photos.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Reggie! Thanks for digging this thread up, puts things in perspective.
    2.5 years! I don't have time to post right now but I'll try to snap some shots before I leave the house and post them later when I get home. All of these plants have survived.

One thing I notice looking at these is the amount of algae in my pots... yikes!
    Lesson 1: Avoid algae. I'm sure it's a big part of the reason my first year plants progressed so slowly.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Well they certainly are cute little critters Ive never grown cacti or succullenys with seeds, its sounds like a whole new ball game.

Greg

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Greg. Okay, here goes...

Aloinopsis orpenii

Aloinopsis setifera

Cheiridopsis bruynsii

Conophytum christiansenianum

Jensenobotrya lossowiana

Glottiphyllum peersii
    {{gwi:726194}}

Lithops divergens v. amethystina

Mitrophyllum grande

Monilaria globosa - These look better in their growing season.
    {{gwi:726201}}

Titanopsis primosii

Mesembryanthemum crystallinum - 3rd generation since original collected seed

Tanquana prismatica

Bon appétit!

• reggie
    10 years ago

Bravo!!!! Bellisimo!!! A tip of the hat to you Mr. Robo!

You have one pictured there on my wish list...Glottiphyllum peersii. Ooooolala. Love those white edges.

I know your growing methods have changed a bit since this batch and know you will have even more success in the future. Thanks for sharing your passion for growing these beauties with us. It is ever so impressive and inspiring.

Keep up the good work Ryan!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Nice work, Ryan, you sure have the knack for growing these!

Christopher

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Chris! I hope the weather warms up for you soon.

Thank you, Reggie! I appreciate the encouragement:)
    I love Glotti peersii too, my favorite glott. I need to pot them up so they'll grow bigger and make seed... then we can grow an army!... or I'll just get some more seed, don't really want to wait that long.

You're right, my methods have changed quite a bit since I started these seeds. I'm surprised so many survived the learning process!