Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidbooth65

Jade Moving Day

davidbooth65
9 years ago

I wrestled my jade inside today, just ahead of the first real cold. I've learned a lot lurking here. I thought I would share a few observations, and ask some questions. I repotted this jade about January 7, 2014, using a homemade mix that included unsorted glacial sand, homemade compost, a little peat, wood ashes, maybe a little perlite and/or sandy loam. I also used a significant amount of unsorted charcoal from my wood stove. The charcoal chunks for aeration and water/nutrient retention. The plant went in front of South facing glass doors, and importantly, with mirrors and/or snow on the porch in front to reflect sunlight. The plant responded almost instantly, even in the depth of winter. It's proximity to the wood stove meant dry air and daily temperature fluctuations of thirty degrees F. Not unlike the desert! Leaf Temps on sunny winter days hit 95 degrees. In mid May I put it outside during a cloudy stretch, and rotated it regularly. Despite the coddling it shed leaves, and new growth, at best, replaced the lost foliage. There was little diameter growth. I did not check leaf temps on hot, sunny days, but they must have exceeded 100 degrees. It seems possible to me that a potted plant with a high number of leaves, even a jade, may be unable to take up water fast enough during the hottest and sunniest days. As soon as the weather cooled in August, the plant put on rapid foliar and then diameter growth. Epicormal shoots appeared for the first time. The luxuriant growth continued during typical autumn weather: wet, cool, warm, cold. Nothing phased it. And the cold, short days of late mean a spectacular bloom, come Winter. If I may hypothesize... Light intensity in Winter may be more important than day length or temperature. Soil properties may, ideally, vary depending on the the evapotranspiration rate. I am aiming for ten to eleven months growth per year, with lots of foliage, so underwater in is a concern if I am away. During the summer I am going to place it in full sun, with about 30% shade cloth over it, May-July, to try to reduce the sun scald and leaf drop. These are a few of my thoughts, but I am just a plantsman at heart, and no expert on cacti! Regards, David.

Comments (9)

• hookilau
    9 years ago

gah.
    I don't have anything useful to say, but your Jade sure is lovely =D

Taking notes for my own wee fellas, lol.

• davidbooth65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks hookilau! I am having fun with it, even as the size becomes daunting. Yours won't be wee for long, if you give it plenty of good soil, and light. Mine is fertilized with leftover coffee when inside. Outside may include the ocassional coffee, commercial fertilizer, compost tea or urine added to pond water. My smaller jade suffered much less sun scald, so I think it is more an issue in large, leafy potted jades? Good luck!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant.
    I am wondering about sunscald - I am in zone 5a, have them outside whole summer & in full sun. No sunscald. Is the sun so much 'hotter' in your area?
    They get watered by rain (if it's dry, rainwater from the rain barrel).
    BTW, it's not a cacti (in case you were referring to your jade - last paragraph).

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Thinking the non organic feeders in gritty mixes are in 'silent envy'

Suggestion: when moving it outside next year fold the 30% shade cloth in half for a week or two then use it as a single layer for anouther week or two during next season transition.

If at any time foliage does scolds it's to hot in temps shade cloth doesn't lower temps but moving the hotter air away from them would help

I don't always habit this but on hotter days I usually wait to water at PM after sun set so they have a longer time to Am so thay can take water up thats going into a cooler side soil.

Last tip Even with a good transition it may happen that foliage COULD still scorch don't be afraid to move them ASAP to a cooler area for a few days.

• davidbooth65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, rina, for your kind words, and correcting me! The sun in Vermont, is not more intense than in your area, unless the cloud cover differs significantly. It is very windy here. But I'vé seen many trees and plants on my farm that are simply unable, at times, to transport enough water during really hot weather. Soil compaction in my sandy loam soil (cars, tractor, pigs, chickens, human feet) stresses birches during hot, dry weather. The bronze birch borer moves in and dead birch. Potted plants are restricted, not unlike plants or trees in compacted soil. Birches in uncompacted soil will still wilt and shed leaves; rhubarb leaves wilt in the hot sun. I suspect, but only suspect, that a large potted jade, with enough foliage, on a hot, clear, sunny day with low humidity may experience the same stress, albeit with a higher threshold. Even plants like corn that love the heat, suffer from an excess. Jade leaves hold lots of water to keep the plant alive during periods of stress, but if it is not replaced quickly enough, they begin to drop off, no? There is a tipping point for every plant, with countless variables to take into account, not even accounting for genetic variation!
    Nomen numen, I think your advice is spot on regarding the shade cloth and moving the plant, when stressed. My problem is that it is very hard to move this plant. It must be one hundred pounds, +/-, and being a jade, it is "jiggly" and prone to tipping and breaking. That, and the fact I am forgetful and easily distracted. My jade will suffer before I get around to moving it. I may aim for a structure that breaks the wind and provides some shade, and does not look too unattractive.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Peaks and valleys. The green & white mountains has alot more for you to explore.

Elevation has something to do with your summer increased heat, elevations also help explain the cooler opposite effect when colder

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

It looks great! I remember seeing a lot of them in the city of San Francisco. Sure they were planted there but I guess the climate suits them well.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

that is a beautiful jade! My mom had one that was even bigger that that once. She couldn't keep moving it in and out with the seasons so she broke it up into smaller plants. I cannot wait to have one of mine get that big! One day! *sigh*

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David
    Thank you for explaining...perhaps the elevation is different.
    I never checked the leaf surface temp...Regardless, your jade is beautiful & I hope it will remain. It is very 'tight'/full, I like that. Probably top-heavy, that's why it's prone to tipping and breaking. You can put some large rocks on top of the soil to help to keep it steady (they would be easy to remove when moving it).
    The soil mix you use seems to be 'complicated' but if it produces this kind of plants, must be great.
    Do you have any other succulents?
    Rina

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting