Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manfreda question

Posted by greybird_keke (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 23:34

A few weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Manfreda "chocolate chip" at a greenhouse. Since it is not winter hardy here, I brought it inside under fluorescent lights to overwinter. The lower leaves are slowly turning yellow....I have never had one of these before, and I wonder if it is a normal reaction to the lower light, or if there's anything I can do to make it happier. It is very potbound, but I was going to wait till Spring to repot it. It's such a beautiful plant, and I really want it to survive the winter! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manfreda question

GK,

I think Agaves and their relatives, like the Manfredas, don't stop growing, although they may slow down a lot during a particular season, throughout the year. Your plant is growing, as it does shedding older (lower) leaves. I'd repot it - it will grow given sun and warmth during the winter - my Mangave 'Bloodspot' does, as do the other Agaves, although at a reduced pace.

o
RE: Manfreda question

I grow several types of manfredas and they freeze back in the winter here in Zone 8b and grow again in the spring. Also they get eaten to the ground by deer and pop right up again.I have to hide the manfredas by thorny and spiky plants. Manfreda maculosa and M. seleri are native to areas close to me. When I googled Manfreda chocolat chips , Plant delights says it has "winter deciduous rosettes" and has it hardy to Z7-8. I do not know how they woiuld react growing inside since I have never had them inside in a northern clime. It is on my want list but then I remember all that high priced deer food that I have already bought. Deer really love M. mocha macho.I tried 3 times at $7 and $15 a dish, I mean pot. They seem to leave the M. bloodspot alone though so far. That one is not deciduous. It is more like its agave parent in that regard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here