Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Advice on Rhipsalis Monacantha

teisa
10 years ago

I've had R. Monacantha (hope to spell it right) for about 2 yrs. now. I've read one place it needs a cool, dark winter. But not much on the internet about getting it to bloom. Can anyone advise on how?

TIA!

I added a picture. I hope this helps someone identify what plant Im referring to and can offer help on it. I searched files and I think Howard used to have one. Maybe still does. Can anyone help on this plant?

This post was edited by teisa on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 19:40

Comments (14)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I do not have any experience with this plant you've named. You might also find it under Acanthorhipsalis monacantha. From looking at pix online, I'm not so sure that's what you have. If you haven't seen it bloom, you might have to wait for the blooms to make a positive ID.

Richard (oldstumpy1) has this plant. Here's a link to his post (below). Maybe you can contact him & ask about its care (if he doesn't see this post).

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard's post

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    10 years ago

Hi Teisa
    yes Rosemarie is correct I do have this plant.
    it receives no special care. most of my plants are grown inside but this one and a fiew others spend the summers outside under cove no direct sunlight. its potted in a wire basket with a coir lining miracle grow soil mixed with about 40 percent perlite, watered about every two weeks in side and when it rains out side never fertilized
    hope this helps

Rosemarie I wish I had half your knowledge and memory.
    my dw says I have sumtimers.
    she on the other hand can remember things I screwed up forty years ago.

Richard

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Those buds? are really cool Richard..is that what they're suppose to look like...do they open and are larger or are those the open buds?

I think I have a similar plant that Teisa has that I've been trying to find the ID on (purchased as a rescue) from Lowe's several months ago...

Mine has flat stems and stems that have 3 sides like a triangle...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

These are the thick triangular shape leaves on the same plant...

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy
    My plant has only flat leaves and orange flowers

Richard

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Richard! I appreciate your help on my plant. That is a beautiful plant. I love the blooms. Im pretty sure we do have the same one. I'm hoping it blooms in the spring. And it funny that you said you don't fertilize yours, I read that they don't like fertilizer but about 2x per year. I've been putting dynagro pretty heavy, so Ill back off.

Thanks again for the help!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wanted to update on my NOID (the one that has both flat and triangular stems on the same plant)...I found some buds on a couple of them...VERY exciting! I will update if they make it and actually open...

These are on the flat stem...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

These are on the triangular stem...Sorry its blurry its pretty breezy and its hanging on a tree. Hard to keep the camera steady lol...

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

puglvr, that is Rhipsalis monocantha. It is almost universal in the Rhipsalis world for the plants to have multiple forms. It is as if their DNA allows for different shapes depending on the age of the stem and the state of the light. I have a mono with 2,3 and 4 edges on the same plant. Also, don't be fooled by the name. Monocantha means one thorn, but all the ones here have one big spine and several small ones in the aerole. They are fast growing, as you probably know by now.

The berries oldstumpy shows are exactly the color they are. They have sort of a pink tone with darker lines. I had birds come through last summer and strip all the berries of the Rhipsalis. No problem because I only eat a few and all they do is fall off. The berries on this one have no flavor for me. None at all, not fruity, not sweet, not bitter. Not even a little.

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh wow!!! Thanks for posting this! Mine is starting to have very, very small nubs on the ends. I've just been watching. I'm hoping it takes off once I can put it outside!

You can really grow anything!! Congratulations!!!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response Dzit. I appreciate it. Good to know about the differences of the shape of the leaves/stems. I had no idea you can eat the berries.

Congrats Teisa! I'm sure yours will take off and bloom soon :)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

My first bud opened today and several more getting plump!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's a beauty,love that color,well worth the wait!! TFS
    Kathi

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Kathi! It is a pretty color :o)