Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuukathy

Succulent ID and blooms are dying?

vuukathy
9 years ago

Hello!

I was never told what these succulents were called when I purchased them. Also the pink flowers on the tallest one are dying and I don't know why! I've watered them only once a week and plant is healthy so I don't know what is causing the flowers to die. Thank you!

Comments (7)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

I can't comment on the flowers because I don't know what the plant is called, but your plants (the far tall one looks like an echeveria) are in serious need of brighter light. They should be growing in a more compact manner. Others will be along to chime in.

Nancy

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Flowers don't live forever. Both plants look like Echeveria, probably hybrids of some kind; the flowering one might be a Graptoveria. I would remove the flower spike as close to the main stem as possible. As Nancy has said, they require significantly more light. Since we don't know your general location, it may be difficult to find more light. If you are living in a northern location, you can behead your plants in the spring and find more light, gradually introducing them to the sun so they don't get sunburned. They will grow new "heads" that should be more compact. In time these may be removed to produce new plants.

• silenteyesspy
    9 years ago

I'm not sure of the names. But the median that they're in now is not Succulent friendly. You need clay pots with gritty mix. The pots should be no bigger than an inch bigger then what they're in now. Also, you must move them into a south facing window. If you don't have that, east or west will do. Water only every three weeks or so. If you place them outside and it's hot, water every week to 3 days.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I dont disagree with the remarks regarding the soil. I do take issue with pot selection. IMHO, this is very personal. Both clay and plastic work. What one must keep in mind are your local environmental conditions and the specific plant(s) in question. You then adjust what you do accordingly. Echeveria are semi-dormant for me in Michigan and I allow them to get pretty dry before watering. This may take a few days for some in smaller pots and a week or more for larger pots. Air circulation will influence watering frequency as will temperature and humidity. There is no blanket formula for when to water; what is important is not overwatering with your existing conditions.

I like plastic pots for most of my plants because they are light weight and I don't water as frequently. I will use clay for certain others such as Euphorbia, because they dry out much faster and gives me better control; again a personal choice.

As stated above and in my previous post, more light will give you nicer looking plants. Having said this, if you restrict watering and no food, your plants will go semi-dormant and slow down with their growth. Comes spring and more sun, you can slowly move them to a location for better growth. This is why I am using lights this year for my Echeveria as last winter they got etiolated and looked horrid!!!!! So far they have remained tight and GREAT color.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 16:24

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Woah.

You ain't just whistling dixie about retaining great color!!!
    =D

I've got mine under T8's and thought I was doing well, but you seem to be doing faar better.

What kind of lights have you got there?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

These are 6500K T5's.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Light setup is looking good there, sir! Now you can create a rack setup to go above that one so you will have room to "squeeze in" a few more plants. heh