Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want some schlumbergera seeds?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 0:04

I pollinated several of my christmas cacti 6 weeks ago expecting only 2 or 3 seedpods to take. Here I am with several dozen--lol! Is there a big interest in these or should I just nip off most of them? I never realized these could be so prolific! These are mostly crosses of bright red/cerise and a lavender/white. Anyone interested?

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want some schlumbergera seeds?

Im interested. The only seeds i have are mammillaria, melocactus, and gymnocalycium, and i would like to try to grow more seeds than just those.

o

I will trade you some true CC cuttings if you're interested. I also have some jade cuttings. Not a great time of year though.

o

I am interested. Will pay.

o

I'll root some and share in the spring when it's safer to ship.

o

March is fine--thanks!

o

Hi can you pls. clarify if you've got a TC or a CC?

It's my understanding the seed pod (apple?) can take a year or so to ripen (& did once w/ me), so while it's a great offer (thanks), I think folks will have to wait quite a while.

o

LOL We grow succulents and cacti, we NEED to be a patient bunch.

o

The lavender one has jagged edges and the peak bloom was 1-2 weeks ago, so I guess that's a Christmas cactus? The red ones peaked 4 weeks ago and have smoother edges, so that's a Thanksgiving cactus I guess. Obviously they overlapped enough to pollinate, but the TC's most likely crossed with other TC's. Last time, the pods turned pink after 4-5 months, and I was told that once the color changes they're done. There are so many, I can test and see...I'm offering these for people to have fun with. Genetics will always be a mystery in this case.--Rr

o

Well No Rred, not quite,

Thanks for replying, but just so you know: broadly speaking, the jagged edged ones are TC, the rounded edge ones are CC, irrespective of time of bloom, it's about the segment shape & the bloom.

(I forget how to provide a link, but if you search for Holiday Cactus, you'll likely find the one which explains the distinctions btwn them & how to tell them, apart.)

Anyway, I hope you're ready to wait for the 4-5 months you said yours took to ripen (before you can collect the seeds) The one I ripened on my plant took a full year to redden some yrs. ago.

I actually have a small seedling of one growing now, have you seen the pix? It's about year old, IIRC.

Here's a pic from last July (guess it was abt 6 months old then)

Photobucket

It's the vertical green segment in the center of the pic.

o

I never claimed to be knowlegable on the differences between the two. They are what they are, a chance to grow something nice for the price of postage. Last time I grew seedpods on these, they went from green to pink in about 5 months, and I was told that at that point the seeds are viable, although I waited several more months for the pods to get a little soft.

--Rr

o

Mine don't take a full year, my experience is more like rred's. Five months or so should do it.

rred said: "The lavender one has jagged edges and the peak bloom was 1-2 weeks ago, so I guess that's a Christmas cactus? The red ones peaked 4 weeks ago and have smoother edges, so that's a Thanksgiving cactus I guess."

I sure would like to see a photo of your round edged red one. I had a cross that didn't bloom this year, but it was between a reddish zygocactus(Thanksgiving cactus) and my true Christmas cactus. It was red, bloomed late like Christmas cactus, had rounded segments, and had blooms that hung down. Too bad it wasn't that robust. Some of my crosses are pretty wimpy.

Also, you can't really tell by when they bloom what they are. There are Thanksgiving cacti nicely budded for sale at the KMart near me today, Dec 11. So they will bloom closer to Christmas than Thanksgiving. It's much better to go by their physical characteristics. Here's my true Christmas cactus.

o

I'd certainly be interested. Love planting seeds and seeing what happens! (:

o

Congrats!!!! I would love some.

o

My pleasure. I'm asking people to remind me in mid-March and send an email with the word 'Rick' in the subject line. There should be plenty to go around!

--Rr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here