Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E. setosa vs. E. 'Doris Taylor'

Posted by teatree 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 0:24

For quite some time I've been fuzzy about the difference between Echeveria setosa and Echeveria 'Doris Taylor.' In some photos I can maybe discern a difference in leaf shape, but in others not. I was wondering if anyone might know how to best distinguish between the two.

Immense appreciation,

Colleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E. setosa vs. E. 'Doris Taylor'

Echeveria Doris Taylor is a cultivar made partly from E setosa I think. E setosa is a smaller, flattened plant with charateristic flowers that are part yellow and part red. E Doris Taylor is a much larger plant (nearly double the size, both in terms of diameter as well as three dimensionally). Its flowers are a pale orange with yellow and a bit less striking.

Echeveria setosa

E setosa

Echeveria Doris Taylor

E Doris Taylor

Echeveria setosa flowering

E setosa floweriong

Echeveria setosa flowers

E setosa flowers closer

Echeveria Doris Taylor flowers

E Doris Taylor flower

Hope that helps

o

Yes, that was a massive help and answered my question. The size difference I wasn't aware of. Thanks so much. I've seen a boatload of mislabeling of these two.

o

Thanks LZ. I enjoyed your commentary and your wonderful pictures which made things VERY clear. Now to get one of each, my next project. I know both are available just got to find some hopefully locally.

o

Geoff,

Awesome set of pictures which, in a word, defines it in toto, I reckon. Thanks for the flowers. I have one ill-lit NWC in flower, struggling to open, but that's great flower colour, pushing away even the Monday Morning Blues. I remember the hummingbirds on the E. setosa flowers from several plants on a shelf.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 17:16

Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' is purportedly a cross between Echeveria setosa and Echeveria pulvinata.

Moran gives a fairly exhaustive examination of E. setosa in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: variation in E. setosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here