Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

I see lots of whacking in near future...

I have a lot of jades started from cuttings growing unruly. They spent summer outside & have grown considerably. There is going to be lots of work trimming/prunning/plucking, and many new small plants...Here is the most unruly one:
(btw, it is just one plant, split very close to soil line).

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 0:27

Comments (18)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Needs lots more light.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another 'split', same age & size but not as wide as previous one:

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they need much more light, but can't do much better...they are inside, by the windows & under some shop lights. Still not same as sunny outdoors. Canadian winters! I have about 20 pots of them, only so much space...

There is few growing more upright, like this one:

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 0:41

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Tina, I whacked a couple of smaller jades a month ago. I did it as an experiment to see how they'd do growing in the winter. I did it with a Silver Dollar and a Tricolor. Not much happening yet...

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Rina, I whacked a couple of smaller jades a month ago. I did it as an experiment to see how they'd do growing in the winter. I did it with a Silver Dollar and a Tricolor. Not much happening yet...

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

LOL, Rina. My iPad self corrected to Tina on the first post. I didn't think it posted and corrected and resubmitted.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, whack away ;-)
    They look nice...although the upright one was a bit thirsty.
    I had a very unruly 'Crosby's Compact' that I whacked last month...not the best time of year, but I needed the room on the window-sill.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the whacking is going to happen after New Year...I need more space too...couple of them are now sitting in the bathtub (!), with the lights on.

2 are looking the same - bit thirsty (see pic). I water them all on same day, but soil must be draining more. These 2 have more reddish leaves - is it 'lack' of water, perhaps?

Rina

10 years ago

Are they all the same variety? Cuttings started from eachother?

Yes, lack of water will often times increase coloration...although when re-hydrated, those lower leaves may drop.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,

I am not sure - probably not. The 2 with reddish leaves were started by me, most of the others by my son from cuttings given to him by someone. They are too big for his apartment, so were given to me. I would imagine they are different variety.

I have few young plants of tricolor (?) jade, started from leaves. They finally started growing, seem to be slower growers.

Rina

10 years ago

I thought so!
    The two with reddish leaves also have slightly different bark color and sheen, which made me think they were from a different source of Jade plant.

Are the small jadelets showing any of the 'Tricolor' characteristics, or have they reverted?

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

What do you mean by "reverted" on the tricolors. No red showing? Or all green?

These plants all came from the same pot - meaning they all may or may not be tricolor jades, as advertised. I purposely put the 3 little guys that were green together. Most of the others were showing some red with the variegation. Now, only the little guy in front is showing a hint of red.

I'll post a close up of the smaller plant.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Rina - you have some nice jades! Thanks for letting me ask a question on your thread.

Here's the little guy showing some red. (It isn't photographing very well!) All were given the same soil, sunshine, water and fert. I've wondered if they were all the same plant or not.

10 years ago

Crenda, what I mean by reverting is that the plantlets grown from leaves often grow into green plants and don't retain the variegation of the parent leaf.

You have two forms of Crassula ovata obliqua - the one with strong white variegation is 'Tricolor.' The green ones will probably show some variegation, but not the distinct white and pink for which 'Tricolor' is known.

I grow the green form, as well, which developed variegation after I whacked it.

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Thanks for that explanation, Josh.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh

Are you asking about 2 tiny ones in forefront (circled)? These are actually grown from leaves of 'regular' green jade.
    The leaves are tiny & they have little red to them, but they are not Tricolor.

2 Tricolors in this photo are actually grown from small cuttings - sorry for confusion; I actually meant to post different photo that I have to find!

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is photo I just snapped, of couple of Tricolor leaves with plantlets - these are completely green (I am still looking for photo I intended to post).

Crenda, post/ask anytime, no problem. There is always something interesting to learn. Your jades look very healthy.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 23:54

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally, here is the mama plant. Also a candidate for whacking - except the small white branch.

I circled few of the leaves with brownish spots on them. I asked about this before, but still don't know what is causing it. It doesn't rub off, doesn't look like fungus and doesn't seem to cause any problems (have this plant abt. 2yrs). I would like to 'clean' the plant - have plucked few off already, but there is still quite a few left.
    The plant spent summer outdoors. I found many similar leaves on green jades I posted above, plucked them all off.

Rina