Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update! Pics!

Posted by andrewofthelemon 7b Central Arkansas (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 0:31

I made this post three months ago about a jade cutting I was given. Since then, it has rooted and grown quite a bit! Also, I took a leaf off it then, and it has grown pretty well too.
Photobucket

I LOVE the way the stem went up in a U
Photobucket
It's starting a new branch!
Photobucket
And here's the leaf
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Post

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update! Pics!

Thanks for posting the update. I sure do enjoy all the jade photos on GW. Lets keep it up in 2012 and beyond. I like your photo of the jade with the solid black color in the background. Sure makes the bright green color of the jade POP OUT !!!

o

Success!

Great job, Andrew! Have you used any fertilizer yet?
I would recommend a 1/8 strength dose, maybe even a 1/4 strength dose.
Now that we're passing the Winter Solstice, growth is going to increase from here on out.

Josh

o

Calif888- I really like how the pictures came out too! I took those pictures at 10 o'clock while the room was pitch black with my cameras flash. I am always having a hard time getting my camera to focus on small details in plants, but this method seems to work great! You also get the benefit of the black background, which does make it pop.

The white thing in the picture is my "portable workstation". Its the lid of a plastic tub that i use to do anything for my plants on.

Josh- I haven't used any fert yet, but I picked up some c&s fert while I was at home depot. I use it next time I water.
When do these things hit their biggest growth spurts?

o

Spring and Fall growth spurts are very noticeable...but Jades'll grow for most of the year.
In my area, my Jades slow down significantly for 1 - 2 weeks during the heat of Summer....
and then they resume growth at the first break in the hot weather. This corresponds roughly
with the Summer Solstice.

I'd fertilize lightly next time you water. Then fertilize lightly again in a month.
You never need to fertilize succulents heavily, but you'll get healthy bright growth
by assuring your plants consistent availability of nutrients.

I'd be more hesitant to recommend fertilization if you were using a heavier soil...
but I can see the porous mix in your pots ;-)

Josh

o

For the cutting, its 50/50 turface and perlite, the cup is just turface. I would say its porous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here