Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjames_gw

New cactus cluster

brodyjames_gw
10 years ago

So, I won this today at the Wisconsin Cactus and Succulent club's Christmas party. What is it? :)

Nancy

{{gwi:728576}}

{{gwi:728578}}

Comments (16)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Way to go, Nancy, with your multi-headed Notocactus leninghausii!

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Or maybe Parodia magnifica?

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

ditto on the latter guess

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Jeff,

Indeed you perplex me with your labeling lapse. Maybe you were partaking of some distilled succulence at the time? 'Tis the season, anyway. P. magnifica indubitably.

Christopher

• hijole
    10 years ago

Nancy,

Nice Cluster you have there, It reminds me of the days people used to try and see how many people they could get to fit into a VW Bug :)

Greg

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey, nice!
    One of my friends has one of these...now I know what to tell him it is.
    Fairly cold-tolerant? His has been getting snow....

Josh

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I always liked the way this cactus looked from the top, but never knew what it was. Getting one for free was awesome! Now, to look for a new pot before it engulfs the current one! :)

Nancy

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi, very nice, you lucky duck.....
    are you going to keep it as a clump or plant them singly in their own pot....I like the way they like from the top also...and I like it as a clump....
    why do cactus get that dry look arround the bottom, has that have to do with age???
    its a great win....linda

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! That is one Grand Prize!

Nice!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

It reminds me of the days people used to try and see how many people they could get to fit into a VW Bug :)

Great imagery, hijole! The one on the left in the first photo is perching on the lower part of the front door (window open). Only his lower legs are inside the Bug, and he's holding onto the roof for dear life!

• hijole
    10 years ago

missingtheobvious, Lol... I see it, I SEE iT! It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

I don't think I've seen you here before Welcome.

Greg

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Thanks, Greg. I've posted a few times in the last couple of weeks, but I don't do photos and I'm not an expert, so nothing memorable.

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, it all depends on what I find under there! If I can find a big enough pot, I will definitely try to plant it as-is, but if I have to remove the "leaner", then so be it. (I'm hoping all is ok!) Worst case scenario, my parents, in AZ, get a new plant for their yard.

I see what you guys are saying about a crowded vw. From the top, I think it looks like a bunch of hot air balloons ready to take flight! That, or the plant itself looks like flowers!

Nancy

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Hm. I wonder if anyone's ever made a cactus-themed hot air balloon? I used to eat at a pizza place whose owners had a "flying tomato" shaped hot air balloon.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Nancy, sorry for the bad ID, but I got schooled again, won't get fooled again (until I do).

Cactus balloons - well, since you brought it up, I had to look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

That is one fly Saguaro, Jeff...

Christopher.