Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Haworthia

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 0:46

I assume you can easily root many Haworthia from plants that have had their roots die or from broken off pieces. Or just from offsets that have started to root?

Just stick in coarse soil and wait? Of types that heavily offset I want to start fresh with undamaged growth.

I also found a near undamaged (on top) large "Zebra" at the grocery literally soaking in water. The roots shriveled and broke off after I repotted it. I pulled off some of the lowest leaves. Will this root or am I wasting my time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Haworthia

Many Haws are easy to root. I have been very neglectful in the past and over-watered some plants. I just clean them up and let them callus and then re-pot watering carefully. The same is true with the offsets. Although, I try to remove those offsets that have started to show some small roots. Good growing!

o

I often accidentally rip out one or two of these while weeding and notice NO roots (usually in heat of summer, but sometimes due to overwatering). Just stuff plant back in dry, draining soil and amazingly often a whole new set of roots will appear in a few weeks.

o

As others have said, generally easy rooters.

o

I haven't necessarily found it easy to re-root Haworthias which have lost their roots. My best success w/ it seems to be using pure pumice, not mix. I mostly use the offsets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here