The winter view

oks2n2_Siberia1
9 years ago

It's only 5F outside today.

Comments (11)

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to cut off the another top of the Obliqua monstrosa. Does anyone want it? I can send it only in summer.

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

HI Oksana
    I understand that is a heat wave in Russia.
    I Would love a cutting, just not sure if you could get it past customs here in the usa. you do have some beautiful jades grown in very harsh condition, keep warm.

Richard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi Oksana, just read your post and saw 5f, though to myself, yes it's 4-5 here too at the moment....then I realised my mistake, my temp is in Celsius and you are referring to Fahrenheit, lol!!! The scene from your window is lovely, just stay safe and warm though. How cold are you likely to get down too this winter?
    Can I also ask where do you get your Jade plants from please as I've seen you've managed to find many interesting types? Hope you don't mind me asking!

Gill UK

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Richard, Gill
    We have normal conditions for hard growing :). There are a lot of jade-fans.
    I keep now my plants from 32F to 68 F inside under the led fixture .
    I had bought Ovata variegata from California in this summer. Mail delivery was expensive, but I got it. Customs in the USA missed. But the plant was severely treated with retardants, so it did not survive.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gill UK
    The lowest temperature was -35C or -31F in November. Our Botanical garden has presented me some plants. 2 varieties have been bought in China in Taobao and 2 Dutch varieties are from IKEA.
    Oksana.

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, that would be nice to have.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies Oksana ;)
    WoW, that IS cold! Have personally only experienced a low of -17C here a few winters ago and that was cold enough! I've seen examples of your plants and they are exceptional. With regard to growing Jades in colder climates, we have recently returned from a holiday in South Africa (it was early summer there) and saw jades growing outdoors both as hedging plants and in the wild too....and it was very hot there. Mine occasionally have a spell outside, but in the main they are in the house or greenhouse. One of my large ones is flowering at the moment, the other is still busying itself with putting on new growths since I whacked it hard last year so isn't in the mood for flowers this time!
    Thanks again :)

Gill UK

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Nice Jades and snowy view!

Josh

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh
    Thank you very much!

Gill
    My Jades are not blooming. May be they are small or it's too warm in the our room. I only recently understood why Jades are not blooming in Russia. As soon as it gets cold, central heating are included in homes. Our climate isn't allowed to grow jades outside. I have to open my window to low a little the temperature near it. And so I water with some acid to prevent plant freezing when cold snaps.
    Oksana.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Well I must say I have a fetish for unusual jades, and you certainly have a beauty there. Stay warm across the pond. We will be suffering like you in just a few weeks and I am not looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing and stay warm.

MIke

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MIke
    Thank you very much!
    All my plants are not afraid of cold. They grow well, but slowly :)
    If I was not hard to buy in California plant through the Russian Post in the spring, I'm afraid now. The ruble collapse.
    Help me, Lord!