Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverj87

plz help before too late

Silverj87
9 years ago

hey. Hope i can still rescue this little fellow and its not too late yet. Whats happening or happened here? so sad too see it like this!! What can i do too rescue it? PLZ help!!

Comments (15)

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic too the side

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Need more info. on temperature, water/lights received, etc. It is looking rather damp and could be frost too, is it get cold wherever you are?

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

water in the last 2 weeks every 4th day a little bit of water thought its getting not enough water. Its getting indirect sunlight in the house. No we in middle of summer so its average 23-25' celcius

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Is there a drainage hole in that pot? Your soil looks water-logged. It should be planted in a fast draining, grittier soil medium....as fast as you pour water in, it should be coming out the hole. You let it dry out, then water again the same way.

It looks like it's beyond saving....looks rotted to me.

Is it squishy anywhere on the plant? If yes, then definitely rot.

Nancy

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey yes there is a drainage hole on the bottom. All i have at the moment is potting soil and some filter sand i will see what happens if i pull it out of the current soil

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Too much watering. Wrong pot for it. Can you repot it into a clay pot? I would only water it about twice a month or less in the current pot. You should stick your finger into the pot to see if the soil is still wet before you water.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Too much watering. Wrong pot for it. Can you repot it into a clay pot? I would only water it about twice a month or less in the current pot. You should stick your finger into the pot to see if the soil is still wet before you water.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

NO SAND!!! Pull it out and let it sit on some newspaper or paper towels for a few days to dry off. Is it squishy at all?

• karmatree1
    9 years ago

It's rotten. Too much water. I've had succulents drop dead after one over-watering. I've also had them suffer when I waited too long and then watered. Sigh! I think your plant is doomed, but like the above post, try drying it out on paper and spray the whole plant with sulfur fungicide. Remove any super squishy rotten stuff. KEep it out of direct sun but dry. I saved a bunch of rotten Adeniums that way.

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

unfortunately the plant did not make it. Ive got the rest of my succulents in potting soil except 2 my lithops and gollum jade so wonder if i should repot in potting soil to make sure it will grow good. The jade plant pot is made of glass doesnt have hole in the bottom.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Glass pot with no drainage is definitely not suitable for plants, even worst for succulents. (If you want it to 'display' for a short time, it would be ok, but not for permanent planting.)
    Use clay or plastic pots.
    Make sure there are drainage holes in all containers.
    Use gritty potting mix - no sand unless it has larger particles - like size of aquarium gravel.
    (Search this site by typing name of your plant in search tab on upper left - multiple posts will show up. I am sure you'll find lots of very useful information.)
    Succulents/cacti don't need watering too often. Even in your climate.
    Water only when soil inside of pot (approx. half way down-not the surface) feels dry.
    If kept inside, don't overpot - large pot+dense potting mix+not enough light are not suitable for succulents.

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just a silly question. How do i know how the soil half way down feels? Should i be able to get my finger that deep in the substrate?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Yes, either that or use a skewer/pencil/'skinny' wooden dowel. When you pull it out & see some soil particles sticking to it, it's still too early to water. Or if you touch it to your cheeks or your hand & it feels cold on your skin, it is still too wet.
    Another way to check is to lift the pot - after a while you will recognize that if still 'heavy' - soil is wet. If much lighter - soil has drained. This :"weight test" work best if your plants are in water retentive (not gritty) soil. It will take a little time to remember how heavy or light the pot should be. It may not be practical if you have many plants.

Most of my succulents (just about all) are potted in mix of gravel, perlite, turface (in various proportions), only some I added little soil to.
    I learned about potting mixes on this forum. Started using gritty mix (you can also search under that title) trying to get it exactly, but sometimes recommended ingredients are more difficult to find - depends where you live. And I water approx. 1/week, sometimes less - depends on temps indoors too. All my succulents have to be inside for the winter, otherwise I take all pots outside. Hardly water then, they get 'watered' when it rains (unless you have months of dry-rain less periods.
    If you really want to understand container-the soil, you could do lots of reading here:
    click here
    You would be able to mix according to what you can find locally.
    The 'trick' is good drainage.

Rina

edited-added photo:

You may be able to see mix in the pot: it is turface, perlite & chicken grit. All are similar sized, and there isn't any soil there - I didn't have any suitable on hand, so didn't bother. This is a cutting, potted about 3 weeks ago.

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 10:40

• Silverj87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey ive been sick tha last few days so didnt have the strengh to read through all of it. I see theres 3 or 4 mixes so must still get to the point where i can replace something if i dont find it here. Thnx for the excellent reply and the link

• silenteyesspy
    9 years ago

You need a clay pot with rocks. Succulents don't belong in potting soil. They also don't like too much water. One should always research where the succulent comes from, that will always let your know what kind of median to use in the pot.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner