Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescued from certain death

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 9:04

At the hands of my Mom. I was at her house last night and saw this really cool looking plant. It was potted in what looked like a soggy mix of coir and peat and sitting on a shelf with almost no light. I know it's a grafted Euphorbia lactea cristata but what kind of euphorbia is it grafted onto? I was also wondering if the brown spot was the begining of rot or hopefully just some trauma?

before repotting in a proper mix.
Euphorbia lactea cristata

Photobucket

These are the brown spots I was concerned about.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescued from certain death

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the brown spots in the third photo don't look like something to be concerned about (if you ask me). It doesn't look like a soft spot (rot), it looks more like someone or something bumped up against it and damaged the surface of the plant and it has since healed.

o
RE: Rescued from certain death

Hey Karyn,

I have one of these, I think they are awesome looking! Nice of you to rescue it! I think the brown spots are just where some of it's little thorns were broken off and it healed and calloused over. Watch them and if they turn soft or spread you may have reason for concern, but I don't think it will be a big deal. Euphorbias seem to over-react a little and form big callouses for little wounds, mine do at least...

Good luck with it and enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here