Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

My Yellow Thanksgiving Cactus

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a few pictures of my very first TC to bloom for me this year! I have several budding up, but this one little loner yellow bloom is the first to make an appearance and thought I would share. Yellow is one of my favorite colors. Thanks for looking!

{{gwi:691161}}

Funny story, I was cruising Ebay last week and saw this yellow TC up for auction with a picture of the plant, well, I kept looking at it and thought it looked very familiar. Turns out the picture the vendor posted was a picture of ,lol...apparently he saw it on GW and copied it...but failed to mention that the picture didn't belong to him/her. Oh well...

Comments (14)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Wow, how beautiful Pug, very nice. Thanks for posting such a breath of fresh air (to go w/ my 2nd cup of coffee). I rarely see these in yellow & that's a lovely shade too.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Nancy, thanks for these progress photos!
    The yellow is very fine, indeed.

Have you noticed that this colored TC is more difficult
    to grow?
    I'm wondering if it's genetically inferior, or if others are killing it
    with particular cultural conditions (soil, water, et cetera)?

(On my second cup of coffee here, too).

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Nancy..You sneek you.. You have been holding out, unless I have not seen a previous posting of this one.. That is my favorite color of them ALL!

Absolutely amazing Nancy..Great job..Look at that..It just goes to prove that these plants do not need cold drastic cold temps to encourage bloom..This is very encouarging .

So pretty Nancy..Thank you so much for sharing..I wish mine would be that yellow..It always has a tint of pink in it..Now if I can get my EC or TC to bloom a bright pure white..:-)

Nancy, looks like that e-bayer will be making some money using that picture..I think you deserve a cut of his profits.

Thanks

Mike

13 years ago

Nancy, I wanted to mention...and Mike reminded me...

You should definitely have the seller remove your pic or else give you credit.

It's a very dishonest thing that the seller has done.
    It's false advertising, and theft.

Josh

• wandering_willow
    13 years ago

Beautiful! My yellow TC is just about done blooming for the time being, so it's lovely to see yours just starting!

In response to Josh mentioning if this color is harder to grow, I've don't think I've found it to be, though after reading a similar complaint about it on the houseplant part of this forum I started thinking about it: I do think my yellow TC flowers last a shorter amount of time than my red one (only two colors I have to compare...) however, the yellow one produced several "rounds" of flowers and seems to be in bloom for about as long as the red one, though each flower dies faster... I never feel cheated by it though, I love it! I'm not sure what this means about their genetic capabilities, or the care they are receiving from me, they are in the same growing conditions, but I have had the red one much longer - my mom had it for years before giving it to me, the yellow was only acquired at home depot a couple years ago...

Anyway, just random thoughts on the matter :)

Lovely pictures! happy growing everyone!

Best,

Willow

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Mike, you're right about the temps on this one...remember you mentioned in your post that yellow TC needed temps above 68ð degrees during budstage? I read this online last year and decided to try it. Apparently it works...I've kept it at above 68ð for most of the budding stage, which helped the color stay a truer yellow. I bought this last year in Nov. at Hirt's nursery. I've been looking for one for a while. I know its harder for you to keep them at this temps, much easier for me...yours is very pretty as well.

Josh, I'm not sure why these are not as common...but I'm sure in time they will be more available. BTW, I emailed the seller a few minutes ago when I noticed he listed another yellow TC and used MY picture again! We'll see "if" he answers my email?

13 years ago

Nancy, let me know (or send me a link) and I'll contact the seller, as well.

Willow, that Thread at Houseplants is exactly what I was wondering about! ;)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Josh and others..:-)

Nancy: Mine is suppose to be yellow too...But is has never been exposed to temps above 65 degrees and look at the difference..

Your's is just so amazing! Again, I am so happy I don't have to expose it to cold temps to bloom!! I will just leave it in the greenhouse next year. -)
    Pics taken this am..

{{gwi:57353}}

{{gwi:115271}}

Mike..:-)

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Nancy, this is beautiful yellow.
    Mike, your looks like beautiful peach? Both are very pretty. Nancy, that story is funny. How Ebay get the picture on GW. Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Pug!!

I love the color of your TC...it is just beautiful!! Definately unique and the clarity of your pic is wonderful!!

This is the first time that I have ever seen a yellow, or even white...

When you all talk about the normal blooming time,what would that be? Different from the reds, or the other darker colors?

Hi Mike!!! Your TC is a beauty as well...love the color!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I love the yellow on your TC Pug and the light pink on yours Mike! They're both very nice and brings warmth and beauty (especially to these long cold winter days).

Hi Josh, Laura and Marie. ( :

Happy growing Everyone!

-Bo

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Nancy, it's beautiul. The truest 'Yellow' I've ever seen. Much darker than 'Gold Charm,' some sellers call yellow..Yours is a darker yellow, which makes the color a truer yellow..Congrats.

Josh, it's terrible someone had the nerve to use Nancy's picture w/o permission. It's illegal. Although. other than an email/s, I don't know how she plans on persuing the matter.

I'm still confused whether or not CC/TC need cold or short-days to promote budding. I imagine, if a Cc/TC is kept in one location, 'either in or outside' natural darkess, this time of year, NO artificial light, will promote buds?
    Some authors recommend placing a piece of black cloth on CC/TC an exact time every day, starting in autumn. They're convinced if the material is set on CC/TC, even 1 min late,' the plant will not bud.
    For years I believed this theory, but after I started summering plants outside, allowing CC/TC to stay outside until first frost, discovered buds, I assumed the cold was the answer to budding.

Mike, what color is your CC/TC? Perhaps it's the picture, but looks like 'white' crossed with 'Gold Charm.'

Pug, CONGRATS, one more time. You succeeded. :) Toni

PS. Why do some CC/TC's bloom in June/July? What forces buds in the first place?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks SO much for the nice comments guys! Really appreciate it. I was playing musical TC with this yellow one, moving it to one room to another looking for the "best" warm temps in the house, so this one definitely didn't have issues being moved around while budding...luckily!

Mike, I LOVE yours too...the colors are very pretty as well!

Willow, interesting about your red and yellow, the difference, I will have to see if my yellow one last shorter, but my other ones are far behind.

Josh, I sent you an email with the links...the one I assume he got my picture from on (GW) and the vendors auction link with my picture on it. Honestly, its fine...you don't have to email the vendor, its NO big deal.

Marie, I think he just "copied" and pasted it on his computer, but I'm not positive.

Toni, I've never had my TC bloom other fall/winter, for me it must be due to a combination of short days and cooler nights?? At the rate our temps have been going...I'm feeling like I'm living up North...it was 27 degrees when I woke up this morning...I had to make sure I was still in Florida,lol...

I spent all day yesterday covering my Mango trees and plants...3 nights of freezing temps for us, and we have another one coming next week...OMG!!

Thanks again!!

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hey Toni,

I think it's length of day/night that pushes them to bloom.

I grew TCs for 5-7 yrs. or so before ever blooming them.

One year, the light fixtures in my kitchen both blew around the same time. Not the bulbs, but the fixtures, by the time they were replaced, exchanged after wrong color replacement, etc. was about a month, maybe 6 wks, in my kitchen w/ NO OVERHEAD LIGHT AT ALL, suddenly my TCs were in bud. (Cooking by the light of the fridge is no joke :>) )

Otherwise, they stayed at the same window & same light exposures for all the non-blooming years. So I concluded it's the length of day/night business.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!