Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcmoore99

cereus that got frozen

lcmoore99
9 years ago

Hi,
I have a large cereus, have had it for years. We've had a few hard freezes but it's in a pot & I brought it in to the back of our screened in porch & covered it with a tarp.

Unfortunately, part of the plant got zapped. Parts are OK. Should I cut off the dead parts?

Hopefully you can see on the photo that there is bright green sections (still alive I presume) & the parts that are dull green which were affected.

Thanks, Linda...
Acworth, GA

Comments (6)

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

Hi,
    That looks recoverable to me. Others may have a different opinion. I will add that the soil looks excessively dry from the pic you posted. I didn't know that it got cold enough for a long enough time in Georgia to cause frost damage. I'm not questioning its frost damage just that it goes against what I once thought was possible.

Good luck

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Georgia has Z7 judging from OP Zone listed. That is definitely cold. They were hard hit earlier this winter. Yes I would cut off the dead growth and hope for the best. I have had some damage, not that bad on such a small plant. In this situation , I just make the best move forward and hope for the best. What else can one do. One year I cut it all back and had no growth and got great growth come spring. Multiple branches coming off of one plant.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

The name is confusing...When I saw the title, was thinking of the columnar Cereus, instead of this Epiphyllum. I have an old Epiphyllum i cut way back, that I thought was dead. But it responded with lots of new growth. Yours may do the same.

Christopher

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I do want to mention that different eppiphyllums have slightly different cold limits. E. oxypetallum is a bit more hardy than Disocatus akermanii which stats reacting when it gets close to freezing. I can get a degree or 2 under with the oxy. It is outside right now. It got to 25 one night and I had it pulled up close to the building under a overhang. There is some edema on the leaves of one branch. I am such a bad mom. Where is my hair shirt.

• lcmoore99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Oh it does get cold, we have plenty of freezes & frosts. Last year was particularly hard. Many people in my area lost established plants like jasmine & clematis. I thought I'd lost 2 jasmine & an evergreen clematis I've had for 15 years. About a month ago I saw it's coming back which is great.

I guess I'm surprised that the cereus got zapped on the screened porch by the wall closest to the kitchen & covered. Wouldn't that provide enough protection?

Thanks, Linda...

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

Judging from what I am reading, you are encountering creeping frost. Elevating something as little as 4 feet can make a difference of having frost damage or no frost damage.
    Look around your yard or neighborhood and see if anything else is frost damaged. If it is see if the damage stops at certain height.
    If it does that is the height you need your outside frost sensitive plants to be higher than. Frost normally arrives early morning when most are normally asleep. It looks like a creeping cloud hugging the ground. If you ever seen the Charlton Heston movie "Moses" it looks like the" angel of death" that descending from the night sky. To a frost sensitive plant the analogy certainly applies.