Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurarobichaud

ID wanted on Gymocalycium

Laura Robichaud
10 years ago

I bought this guy at a local nursery. Loved the color..it a very dark greenish purple. It's small...1 1/2" without the pups. It had tons of spent blooms, but I can't tell the color. I realize it's very difficult to identify without the bloom, but thought one of you may be able to tell me what it is. I've been trying to catalog my plants on a spreadsheet. LOL let's see how long that lasts!

Comments (7)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Sure hope you get an ID because it looks like one I got recently and no one could give me an ID....

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doc, yours looks more like one I already have. Check out the thread below. It's Gymno. Mesopotamicum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking Cactus on vacation thread

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Looks sort of like a Lobivia i have...

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm beginning to think I got another Mesopotamicum, but sometimes it's so hard to tell. There's so many Gymnocalyciums.

Micro, I'm pretty sure it's a Gymno...it has the little spiders. haha!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Aww, I've been long in search of a cactus that looks like yours. My first cactus as a kid was similar to yours. A very dark purple, almost black, with the little "spider thorns." When it bloomed, it had a large white flower (my cactus was tiny, the flower was probably twice the size of my cactus, haha). I left it out on our back patio and sorta forgot about it. Never thought a cactus could die from lack of water, but it had been that long without.

Guess as a kid I had other things to keep my interest. :\ One day, I will find one just like it again. I've been looking, but haven't found one yet lol. Maybe I'll end up ordering one.

I don't remember seeing your first post (about your traveling Gymo.), but I'm not trained enough to say if you have two Gymo. mesopotamicum now or not (Sorry).

I do think that the color of this one doesn't resemble the one in your other post, this one looks like it's real dark purple compared to the green of your other one. Also, taking a third look or so, the spines almost seem different. The "spiders" don't quite look identical. The "spider spines" on your other cactus are more straight legged (haha) and this one, they almost seem to curve down a little.

I say, time will tell. Flowers would definitely tell you what you have, hehe.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 12:38

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto...I hear you on the flowers. So hard to tell!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Unfortunately, that's why when I guess as to the ID of certain cacti, I'm usually wrong (haha). I think I do better with houseplants, it's either a Peace Lily or it's not lol.

Completely different cacti can look almost identical whereas two cacti of the same species can look different due to being grown in different environments with different care. It's crazy. ;) I hope someone else will chime in and give you a proper ID so you don't have to wait for blooms.

Planto