Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayleec

Size Christmas Cactus can grow

jayleec
9 years ago

This Christmas Cactus is about 8' around and 3 or 4 feet tall...anyone know how big these can get? It's roughly 20 years old......

Comments (38)

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

when mine got that big i couldn't stand it anymore and tossed it in the compost heap. realized i'd rather have a dozen small ones.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Wow! That is some Christmas Cactus! I'd be willing to build an extra room to accommodate it. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Has it been blooming?? I see one peeking out down on the bottom right corner,is that one an off shoot of the big one?? As far as i know you can let them get as big as you want as long as you have the room.I remember seeing some that big in Birds and blooms magazine,and it was in bloom.
    kathi

• spikef35
    9 years ago

If that Christmas bush bloomed Iight pass out from that over welming color

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Cannot believe the size of that plant. Never saw any christmas cactus that big before, I would love mine to grow half that size.

thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• silenteyesspy
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful and giant CC, I can only hope mine can get that big.

• jayleec
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses, it seems only one person (David) has had one this big and he tossed it, which being a plant lover, I can't imagine. Yes, I have many offshoots as they grow just by sticking in soil and ignoring them (here in Northern CA at least) I will repost once in bloom, should be covered this year! I guess I'll find out how big it can get as the years pass, I usually only see the small ones but I love this one simply because he is a consistent bloomer and needs very little attention.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

That's a huge and wonderful plant! I, too, would grow it as large as possible. My own Christmas Cactus is 36 years old, but it's been trimmed to maintain size. I am attempting to encourage the woody trunks to thicken up and become stronger so that they can support an ever widening canopy.

Josh

• parodise
    9 years ago

Jay, your plant is absolutely amazing! Have never seen anything so large. Here's my recent acquisition - a plant some 70 cm in diameter. Not as huge as yours but with great potential. It's currently going into bloom, need to take and post some follow-up pictures. This one is from 3 weeks ago.
    Lena

9 years ago

Hi, Lena, nice uniform plant. What you have there is a Thanksgiving Cactus, rather than a Christmas Cactus.

Josh

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

In other words crab cactus or lobster cactus Schlumbergera truncata (Zygocactus truncatus) instead of the Christmas cactus (S. x buckleyi) being talked about in the thread prior to your post. Named cultivars of the crab cactus type are also grown that may not be pure forms of S. truncata (but rather hybrids) as I sometimes see separate listings of such names; there is at least one pretty good cactus enthusiast web site up where such things could be further investigated, if interested.

About 3 ft. across is a fairly typical spread for a Christmas cactus somebody has had around for awhile, one more than twice that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere.

• parodise
    9 years ago

Josh,
    you're right, by all means, this looks like a TC, but funnily, is starting to bloom only now. I have a bunch of other TCs which were blooming around Thanksgiving - as they are supposed to. This one seems to flower with a lag somehow. I haven't figured it out yet, need to observe the plant a full growing season to make conclusions, so we'll see.
    Lena

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I have a pretty big one also,but i know mine isn't 8' across,i've never measured it,but if i remember,i will tomorrow.Mine is further down on this page i think with the post title being"I.ve got pictures" or something to that affect.
    Kathi

• jayleec
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it blooms every year around February ....great idea greenman28, I just let it go but it will benefit from a trim for sure. Thanks for the helpful input!

• jayleec
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In full bloom...time for a hair cut

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

That's really a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

jayleec thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, beautiful! I would love a cutting if you have some extras after the haircut.

• jayleec
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure Camellia1_gw...just tell me where to send them

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks Jayleec. (I'll email you. I think we have to follow each other to email now...geesh.)

• Floral Lover
    8 years ago

Any cuttings still available? Looks like you could make thousands from this one!

• byron_pdx
    8 years ago

Would also like a cutting (maybe after the weather warms a bit)...

• Theresa Nikkel
    5 years ago

Hi! New on here but had to sign up to comment! W. O. W. Is all that comes to mind. That is One SPECTACULAR Plant!! I recently, last summer, inherited a CC from my mother in law. As far as I know, it’s around 50 years old and has looked the same for the 35 years I have know it .... I have it next to a large south facing window,( though it spent the last 35 in a west shaded window) I’ve recently checked the roots, pot size is fine and it always blooms around Christmas. I am curious to know if you would share what do with yours/what type of lighting etc etc etc. As I would LOVE for mine to get huge And lush!!!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

What a great old thread, WOW is right!

Hi Theresa, welcome! Where are you located? Can you place it outside? Mine love it, bright but indirect sunlight. When is the last time it was repotted? I'm sure it would love fresh potting soil with perlite (I add some pumice too for nutrients). Also, could you please get a close up of some leaves that hang lower? Is there some yellowing of the leaves, I wonder if they are lacking nutrients. I LOVE your plant stand with the Romanesque/Greek style!! Is it concrete? Heavy?

My kitten had beat up these three CC's during the winter by jumping all over them and tearing off branches other wise they'd be even larger. They are growing and recovering nicely outside in a shaded corner. I feed them with either Foliage Pro, Miracle Grow or Jack's All Purpose but I also alternate will just water them with plain tap (or even better rainwater) to help flush the salts.

The one on the left I repotted last year, and I have to repot the two big ones soon. I use the garden hose to wash all the old soil from the roots off...sometimes if the roots are super long (say 10") I trim them (after repotting though don't fertilize until signs of new growth). As lovely as these big CC's are, they are a lot of work, mostly because two are wicked heavy. I have them on wheels so I can slide them on the deck.

I remember when I first got my CC's about 4 or 5 years ago, growers gave me good advise, which is that they like more water than true Cacti plants. They come from a tropical rain forest and live under tall trees and get bright filtered light from the tall trees they grow on.

Still blooming, it's crazy!

Their wheels...

My kitten having too much fun at their expense. When mine come in for the winter, they get morning Southeast sun. They love it. I water them about every 10 days, when soil appears dry on top.
    -Nancy

• Theresa Nikkel
    5 years ago

Thank you so much, Nancy! I’m in Manitoba, Canada so can certainly place him outside for the summer- I believe my mother in law did the same- so will find a spot. I did take it out of the pot and there is ample room still there as I only saw small hairlike roots... but I’m thinking a wash and new soil would be a good start. Yes, the lower leaves are pale, actually most of the plant seems pale in comparison to yours and others I see on here.... once I repot him I’ll start with some fertilizer in a shady spot outside.... and wait!

Thanks for the complement on the stand :) no it’s not concrete so not too heavy to move at all :)

mill be sure to post an update ....

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

Mine was passed from my Great Aunt to my mother and then to me. I’ve had it almost 40 years and it was probably 10 years old when I got it. It’s now about 4.5 feet wide. I lost some of the size when I moved 20 years ago and it dropped a lot of branches due to stress. I have no idea how I would even repot it at this point without breaking off a lot of it. The pot would probably have to be cut off, it’s clay-look plastic. If anyone has any advice on this please share.

• Rob Blomquist
    5 years ago

That's about the biggest I've seen. If you want it smaller, prune it and start new plants.

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

I would take some cuttings, which could keep it off the floor, just to ensure you'll keep it going and to have some repetition in the house, which I like, but otherwise I'd leave it if you can. It looks healthy and has new growth. Does it flower?

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

I already have another plant that I started years ago from some pieces that broke off. It flowers well every year, but it hasn’t been repotted in about 7-8 years I’m guessing. Sorry didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

Here it is last winter. It’s as tall as me, 5’3”

• odyssey3
    5 years ago

Gorgeous and healthy Saypoint!

• HU-765340319
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is Mary in 2020. She is much bigger now and begining to bloom again. will send more pics when she is in full bloom.

• kimivu
    2 years ago

Just wonder if Xmas/thankthanksgiving cactus are grafted on stronger cactus root to grow over 20 yrs ?

2 years ago

@kimivu, my Christmas Cactus is 43 years old now.

I prune it a couple times during the prime growing season,

to keep the foliage sturdy and more "upright."

• socks
    2 years ago

Greenman, I like that approach too. When so overgrown, they are unmanageable.

• jayleec
    Original Author
    2 years ago

socks, mine is not unmanageable it's just beautiful even at its size. It is an outside plant year-round on our 15 acres property, compared to other plants and trees we have it not so big in our eyes...

• HU-322719659
    last year

I have one 42 inches in diameter and 14 inches tall

• HU-322719659
    last year