Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave learning opportunity?

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:32

Hi -

I have had two agave seedlings succumb to a similar 'disease'...so, in the spirit of using this as a learning opportunity, I was hoping someone could identify what went wrong here. If it is cultural, I would like to correct it. But, I have many other agaves receiving similar treatment for years, and they are doing quite well.

The plant went downhill fast. Started with the older leaves, bu the newer ones quickly succumbed. Any ideas?

photo image_zps9e76349b.jpg

photo image_zpsec89af54.jpg

photo image_zps4bef3cd9.jpg

Thanks.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave learning opportunity?

Agave Utahensis ssp. ? I find they rot just by looking at water. However, the leaves are roting from the terminal spine back so I'm not sure.

o

It looks like a athracnose fungal infection. Here is a discussion with some recommendations. I have had healthy agaves shipped to me and then when I open them and plant them, they get an immediate infection. Some agaves are more sensitive than others and I think the humidity and rain do set it off. I have used both Bayer advanced 3 in one stuff and Draconil and copper. I am thinking of changing the soil and starting anew in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Athracnose discussion.

o

All those Utahensis die in time . I have given up on them. Sigh.

o

Very good reading Mara, not sure how I missed that thread. Funny how peroxide got mentioned. I use that on my palms that have crown rot. And my parryi group is another major group that does suffer. Usually the variegated ones like sunspot and excelsior. Other groups to keep an eye out for are colorata, gentry, applanata, shawii, deserti, and gracilipes. Specially after having nearly 60" of this year.

o

Hi -

Thanks for the information, all. I believe it was parryi, not utahensis. I believe they were both parryi. I already tossed the plant and soil, choosing not to deal with it. Is there any risk to neighbors? Everyone else in my collection looks pretty good right now.

Tom

o

Yes, I would spray them and drench them to be safe. I deal with them outdoors so I would take what jeff and others that grow them indoors say over me. I would only drench them slightly and when they are pretty dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here